Garmin Zumo Xt

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Fourbears, Mar 11, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Has anyone bought the new Garmin Zumo XT? looks a good bit of kit with a large screen so I am thinking of changing my 346 for it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes, I bought one back in October and find it a massive improvement over the old 340 I had.
    I like the fact that you can download the app, set the destination on your phone and just send it to the satnav before you get near the bike.
    It's a really clear display and gives you live traffic updates. I've opted to receive text messages on it as that's helpful for me when Blood Biking, but probably not for everyone.
    20210311_150810.jpg
    20210311_151015.jpg

This display comes up after you have set a destination. If you press go, it will send you along the quickest route via whichever preference you chose (ie avoid motorways). The two arrows show you which routes are available and the mountain symbol finds you an adventurous route!
    20210311_151300.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I purchased the Tom Tom at Christmas time. It is still in the box. I really get it fitted and learn how to use the thing.
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Well it seems like a no brainer!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I know exactly what you mean Joe, another technological nightmare waiting to unfold before you:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Joe, take it out of the box, connect it to the bike, switch it on and it will ask you where you want to go. Tell it and it will then show you how to get there. Simples :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  7. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Does the Zumo Xt have a facility that allows you to put in the exact route you want to travel? So for example if you are starting at point A and want to visit six places, on a particular route, using specific roads, before you get to point B, can this be programmed in?
    My iPhone only seems to allow me to set point A to point B using the quickest route, including motorways, or avoiding motorways.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    The answer is yes. You can use Garmin Basecamp or MyRouteApp to do so. Tomtom is similar. So you plan your route on the computer and transfer it to the device.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes peeps I will get up and running soon or hair pulling. I only purchased this TomTom as I asked them was the connection the same as the rider three which I have hard wired to the bike. They assured me it was identical. Guess what its no where near so I have to get it changed over first. Then i will be on here nagging you all again.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I only want to go for a ride though!

11. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Well I bought one and made a mount to put it above the clocks. Yet to go out on the bike so we will see how it goes!
    BD6A3C0C-8803-44CE-BB57-F989EDCD5530.jpeg E973C022-8CE0-481E-926F-D27CACC4128A.jpeg 5AF73CA2-90C4-4079-B57B-E111791BAF15.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Captain Trips

Captain Trips Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Surrey, UK
    I bought myself an XT in August 2020 and spent ages messing about with it in the house and the car learning how it operated. I've been a Garmin user for ages, both GPS and sports watches etc, so I was very happy with the operation. Then I fitted it to my Speed Triple and found what, to me, was a deal breaker. The cable from battery to mount has no connector, so the mount has to remain fitted to the bike at all times. I don't use the GPS on every ride, and having a mount sticking up from the bars wasn't a look I wanted. With my old Zumo I was able to take the mount off the bike and just tuck the cable away on the bars.
    Enter the TomTom Rider and the ability to disconnect the cable which just leaves a Ram ball attached to the bar clamp. Of course there hasn't been an awful lot of riding in the last year, so I haven't been able to test it too much, but it seems to be of similar quality and performance, and I got a pretty good deal on the cost too.