Future New Owner Servicing Street Twin

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by covid-21, Jul 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    Howdy there, I'll be purchasing a newish Street Twin in a few months. I'm coming from a GS500 so I'm used to an easy to service and generally work on bike and I have a few questions about servicing.

With the GS all I have to do is an easy air/oil and filter change plugs and a relatively easy valve check, although I've never needed to adjust the valves.

The Street Twin looks fairly simple. There's fuel injection so obviously nothing much I can do there, or is there? I'm presuming that it's not really something that needs to be serviced, taken apart, but if it does, is that something that the shade tree mechanic can do?

What sort of valve adjustment is it, and does it need regular checking.

Or this this pretty much a change the oil and filter and there's not much else to do other than brake pads and fluids.

Also I'm probably looking at a low km 2018 due to them being cheaper. I see there's a bit more power in the 2019 models but I see the torque is the same, and I don't generally tend to fang around much, so in that case I'm guessing I won't miss the extra 10hp or whatever? Or would it be worth forking over a bit more for the 2019.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Andrew.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 3
  3. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    Oh great, I didn't expect anything like that, looks like fun if you like that sort of stuff, which I do.

• Like Like x 2
  4. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    Bugger I just found out is PC only and I'm on a mac and not really able to run emulation software.

5. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    You not able to run VMware?

6. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    I guess I could in a pinch but it's a pain, playing with the diagnostics could be fun, but is this really necessary on a Street Twin. Does the fuel injection tend to need electronic servicing, or physical servicing?

Are the valves controlled electronically, or are they also manually checked? And does the abs and ride by wire need diagnostics?

I guess I'll just wait till I have the bike in my physical possession and play it by ear.

• Like Like x 1
  7. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Bought the DealerTool to use on my Street Twin. I only use it to reset the service mileage indicator as not had a problem in the three years I have owned the bike. I also use Apple but bought a cheap HP laptop running Windows 10 for ease.
    The Dealer Tool does say in the frequently asked questions that some people have used Apple running Parallels or Boot Camp program.
    Alfie

• Like Like x 2
  8. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    OK, well, I found this guy on youtube using a wireless OBD, they didn't have any in his link but it looks like the same unit as this one, and it's wireless and compatible with Apple and seems to do what I'd want which is basically give me some readouts for my own amusement and reset the service light. Looks good enough.

Seeing as the valves don't need to be done for a million years, I guess it's basically just and oil change and coolant top up. Seems pretty easy to look after. I'll prolly go for 5,000 miles for the oil rather than 10, that just seems a bit too high for my liking.

I found a pretty decent looking 2018 Street Twin with only 3500km on the clock so I put my GS up for sale. fingers crossed.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1