full face/open face

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by sprintdave, Nov 1, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    How do you open face users get on with the noise factor? I much prefer the open face approach but do find that I need my earplugs to combat the wind rush. Just another faff to put in before riding but they do make a difference.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I always wear earplugs - yes it's a faff, but necessary.

3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    lol I am deaf anyway, thanks to a working life in the printing industry. I just take my national health hearing aids out, ehh, what did you say??

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    thanks for picking the flies out from between your teeth before posting that BB! Noise isn't a prob to me I use earplugs for half my trips but lose them for the other half. best of both worlds

5. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    ten past six,lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    Also one for ear plugs, started wearing them years ago when I ride at work when the noise problem was starting to get identified, however having recently bought a Davida helmet when that goes on it fits so snug it is just like having ear plugs in, really impressed.

Only worn it a couple of times, I am sure if I wear ear plugs with that would hear a thing.

Teejay

7. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    Typo....meant wouldn't hear a thing

8. VERY light Dave - definitely too light for Spain where I use it - I believe you can get alternate visors - I've tried (without success!) to remove the existing - was being careful not to break anything!

9. Maybe we ride slowly Creaky! I rarely see 70 on the Bonny - it's best at 45 to 50 - great for the mountain roads around Spain.

10. david451

david451 New Member

Nov 17, 2015
    rigside
    I
    I also have been around bikes most of mylife and in the 70s before legislation got a grip we rode up to a 250cc without any training because of that and leaving side stands down because you could in those days it resulted in carnage. Open face helmets were most common then and they offered minimum protection since most ofthe time the face got it.

So other than a fashion statement they are wholey inadequiet. So if i am heading for the tar i dont want to be wishing i had bought that expensive full face gloves boots leathers and back brace. I also weara chest protector after being hit by a magpie on the motorway i think it was fired out a cannon cause it felt like that.

11. Eyore

Eyore Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Ireland
    Friend of mine went flying when a car pulled out at a junction in a SMIDSY incident at pretty tame sub 50mph speeds. Chin bar of AGV helmet well destroyed along with several of his teeth . Hate to think what he would have looked like if he was wearing face.:(

• Like Like x 1
  12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #32 thebiglad, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Hi Eyore, I was just reading your post and I can't help but question how much protection the chin-bar actually provided, if it was "well destroyed'?

13. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I came across this whilst surfing Full a Face vs Open Face. 19.4% of accidents involve hitting the chin.

image.jpeg

Nuff said.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's very interesting and illuminating, cheers Rooster.

15. Eyore

Eyore Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Ireland
    I assume it did its job and can only imagine the results had it not been there. At the end of the day who will complain if their helmet is damaged if it does its what its supposed to do , ie protecting the contents within.

16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Perhaps I didn't express myself well - I wasn't concerned how much damage had been done to the helmet.I was more concerned how much face damage had been saved, before the chinbar was "well destroyed". In other words how much protection did it actually deliver?

Some forms of motorcycle protection actually do more damage as they deform, than having less protection.

17. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I have to say I used to,in 77 , have an AGV Daytona full face and had an accident where a lorry turned right , straight in front of me, I went through his windscreen and the chin bar took a lot of the impact, there were teeth marks in the rubber after and the visor was badly scored so I can fully understand why most people feel the need for full face helmets.In 1980 I bought a cb750 and needed a new helmet, I couldnt find a comfortable full face and tried on an Everoak open face which at the time was good enough for the police to use for their motorcyclists. It fitted like a glove so i bought it and used it till i got rid of the bike in 87.
    When i came back to biking again 5 yrs ago I bought a full face but due to hearing loss after years in the printing industry I found that my hearing was poor in it,I persevered due to safety concerns but did not find the same enjoyment from the bike i used to have.
    I had a small come off at about 5-10 mph and went face down 4 years ago, I said at the time that i would never wear an open face as there were marks on the visor, also I went down on my knee and my armoured jeans prevented damage there.
    trouble is for me,as stated previously,there was something missing . I looked around and at last years bike show tried on a couple of open face helmets. I did not rush in and waited until recently, in the end I got myself an open face and it has opened up the bike experience for me again.
    If you were to take away the danger of biking completely, for me there would be no point. Part of the excitement is in the danger I think. A couple of things have noticed, I can hear much better in my open face, and my vision is much better too,I can see a wider angle at the sides.
    You pays your money and takes your pick.
    Safe riding to you all no matter what helmet you wear.

• Like Like x 2
  18. david451

david451 New Member

Nov 17, 2015
    rigside
    That just about sums it up for me…….and that aint gonna polish out[/QUOTE]
    Thats a fact there is an article i read when doing my iosh health and safety where it stated that you lose 1mm of flesh etc for every 1mph over 30 mph work that one out yuk.

Also sunglasses are for sun not motorcycles firstly they are not secure and always displace in an accident and break up. Secondly an impact on the lense from an object will either go through the lense or send fragments which detatch from the inside delaminate because of a point impact on the front of the lense. They come off at a force which shatters the retina.

So if you want to look cool go for sunglasses but remember also that where dark visors have caused crashes and you can lift one up if you are quick you aint gona get glasses off. Bosh.

19. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    must admit when a bee hit my sunglasses I couldn't see out of my right eye for ages....well not until I cleaned the bee mush off the lens! Yup it wasn't so cool for the bee.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    bee...n there done that. nasty bruise on my cheek a few years ago,just missed my sunglasses.
    also in 1975 on my BSA Starfire which kept jumping out of gear at 50,lol, I rode in a vest and levis, got badly sunburnt on my shoulders and hit in the chest by the biggest bee you ever saw,now that was a bruise.lol.