full face/open face

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by sprintdave, Nov 1, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Been back into biking for about 5 yrs now,first year on a cb500, the other 4 on the Sprint. Back in the good old days I always wore an open face helmet, an Everoak and my eyes took a battering coz I didnt wear glasses then, or use goggles very often.
    When I came back I thought it would be better to buy a full face helmet and for the past almost 4 yrs have worn one of two different full faces. Just recently I decided to buy an open face and goggles and go retro. Wow what a difference. Have to say for me the whole experience of riding has improved with the open face, better vision all round, I ,even with my limited hearing ( I wear two hearing aids normally,tho not on the bike) can hear more around me, and I feel less restricted too. I am reborn,lol.
    I am fully aware of the danger implications but if we took those into consideration all the time we would not ride bikes in the first place I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dave,I completely agree with your comments.Yes there are safety issues, but there are advantages as well such as being able to hear better and a better field of vision. Better ventilation too which helps to keep you more awake/alert.

You know the old saying "One Life - Live it"; just seems sooooooooo appropriate here.

It goes without saying that I run with an open face jobby too ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    I have a full face for winter and open face for the warmer months and have to say I'm always sad to put the open face away for the winter...bring on the sun next year!

4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I used to use full face AGV's. Never felt comfortable. Always steaming up, limited field of view, hot in summer. Back to biking wearing an open face with visor/sunglasses. A bandana thing pulled up or silk balaclava for when it's chilly. Feels so much better in every way, and keeps my speed down to responsible levels in to the bargain. Well I say every way, the occasional fly and stone chip in the cheek can be mildly irritating. Can't say I'll feel the same way on those brrrrr deeper winter days. Mind you I'll probably be sat next to the warm fire in the pub nursing a pint when they come round.

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Need I say more? image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Works for me at Halloween! I do have a full face when there's elderly with a fragile disposition about, sorry half ton my bad!

7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have a HJC flip front helmet and an open face AGV. There are times when I'm wearing one and wish I had the other on - mainly weather related. Not so keen on the open face for fast motorway runs, but happy in most other circumstances. Glad I was wearing the full face (then a Caberg) when I had my "off" - even though my head didn't actually touch the ground.

8. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    You can hear better with a open helmet image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    Have a Tour X for the Explorer when it's gets cooler but wear Arai SZ open face most of the time and certainly on the Europe tours, so much more comfortable.

Just bought a Thruxton and a Davida open face with googles, it just has to be done.

So with the Doohan Arai replica that's 4 helmets....do I have a problem?

Teejay

10. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    If you have, i would keep a "lid" on it

• Like Like x 1
  11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    4 helmets - isn't that some form of deformity, or have I misunderstood - again :oops:

• Like Like x 3
  12. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I'm rather torn about this. I wore an open face for years and did thousands of miles in it but swapped to a full face for a couple of reasons.

Firstly a mate was T-Boned and he ended up sliding down the road on his face pretty much destroying the chin-guard on his full-face. The doctor said he'd have been dead if it hadn't been for his helmet. At the same time my tinnitus was starting to get worse and even with ear plugs I was finding the the open-face too noisy. I never got on with goggles btw :( I tried the "traditional" Stadium type and the ski type but found both uncomfortable and restricted vision and used a clip on visor.

Despite all that I still ride with my flip-front raised in town unless it's raining but on the open road I'm still wary of having nothing to protect my face except a drop down visor.

I tried a new Roof out where the chin piece folds back over the helmet to make a "true" open face. I'm still tempted .....

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tim Jones

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    Tried 3 flip front helmets but never found one that fits like my Arais, still looking trouble is they all feel OK in the shop but after an hour or so you find out they are no good.

NEC show fast approaching which is a good opportunity to browse.

Teejay

14. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Although I think it is overpriced the Shoei Neotech I've got is incredibly comfortable and I'm reluctant to give that up ...

15. Tim Jones

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    Tried a Neotech lasted a month, fine when open but when it shuts pulls the sides in and pressure on the jaw feels like I have been punched, same with a Nolan I tried.

It's just me I think.

Teejay

16. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #16 sprintdave, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    I think flip up helmets are even more uncool than full face. but there ya go,lol.

and doesnt the wind speed cause problems on them?? i know when I rode with my visor up on my full face there was a lot of turbulence.

17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    After trying on many, many helmets at the Motorcycle Mega Store in Swindon I settled on a HJC full face to replace my Caberg. It fitted snugly and was the most comfortable I tried. Didn't realise it was flip up until I went to pay for it - wasn't looking for one but went with it anyway. When closed it's quieter than the Caberg and being able to open it when filling up the bike or when stuck at junctions (or when kicking over the Enfield) is a plus point for me.

18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have the hjc flip up, it's great but if my nose were any bigger I'd gave probs with the flip down sun visor!

19. #19 Bumblebee, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Full face (Flip up) for the Speed (Compulsory for track anyway) and Open face and sunglasses for the Bonny (Cos that suits the only conditions I ride it in!
    thumb_IMG_2565_1024.jpg

20. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #20 thebiglad, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Hi BB, that's very similar to the one I ride in every day. Is the visor tinted? My has just a light tint.