Vintage Tiger fuel filter?

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by duncans, Dec 17, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. duncans

duncans New Member

Apr 20, 2016
    north notts
    the bike has been laid up since the first week of november ,I had to use it last night and although it spluttered a bit ,it started when it was running it felt sort of 'not right' and not as crisp as normal ,how ever as I closed the throttle the bike picked up speed again and accelerated
    crap fuel or fuel filter ? any thoughts please

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It could be fuel filter or air filter. You don't say what bike you've got?

My 2006 955i Tiger was misbehaving and it turned out to be the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve), gave it a clean with aerosol brake and clutch cleaner and now seems fine.

3. duncans

duncans New Member

Apr 20, 2016
    north notts
    sorry 2001 tiger 955i

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Without knowing the service history of your bike, it could be anything so it's important to have a methodical approach to the diagnosis.

Have you have any work done on the bike recently? When was the last time the spark plugs/airfilter were replaced? Have you ever had the tank off?

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Check the inlet tract's, they might not be sealing properly, vacuum ports/hoses etc , as the symptoms you put out are an indication of running lean when throttle is shut . a good easy simple test is baby powder or similar fine powder (flour will do it too) sprinkle it on the joining points between cylinder head and inlets, start the bike run it for awhile. couple of minutes will do vary the throttle no need to over rev it, look for clear/missing powder it will get sucked in if there is a leak!!!

• Like Like x 1