Tiger 800 Fuel economy

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Tone, Aug 4, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tone

Tone Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Brighton
    Hi all, I've just read some articles by MCN about the tiger 800 published 2011. The guy was very enthusiastic about it in every aspect apart from fuel economy! Are they that bad? And if used for the annual tour to the continent, how many mpg is realistic per tank, I know it depends a lot on how you ride, but I'm thinking 300 miles of mixed roads in France making decent progress, and I'm more of a plodder than speed merchant! I know it's difficult, I just need an idea as I'm changing my bike this year and a tiger 800 is near the top of the list, cheers Tone.

2. Tone

Tone Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Brighton
    Thank for that, I only ride solo, with saddle bags rather than hard luggage. The trouble is I'm a shot Arse and the tiger 800 with lower seat seems the only one for me! 5'7"

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Tone, the fuel consumption between the original Tiger 800 and the ones 2015 and onwards. So it depends a lot on whether you buy new/nearly new or a bit older. Have you decided on a budget?

As Littleade said there are lots of factors involved in giving you worthwhile mpg numbers.

My guess ? Roughly 40-ish mpg for the original and nearer to 50 mpg for the new ones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have a 2012 800 my speedo shows 46mpg on mixed runs dual carriageway and single. I do around 160 to 170 before fuel light comes on. I have no idea what capacity reserve is

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi Tone - I have a new Tiger XRx and have nearly put 6000 miles on it so far, including a recent trip to Brittany and Normandy.
    I ride solo with the Triumph Expedition panniers fitted most of the time. Typical journeys in the UK are motorway, fast A roads and B roads plus a bit of town centre riding (I don't commute but I do use the bike for work journeys).

The most I ever seem to get in the tank is 15 litres (suggesting that there are 4 litres or thereabouts in reserve) - in fact I filled up this morning and managed to fit in 14.87 litres. I always reset trip 2 to zero and this gave me a reading of 187 miles since the last fill up. In old money that's about 58 miles per gallon, which i would say is average for me - but you can get better economy I'm sure if your riding style is more relaxed!

6. Tone

Tone Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Brighton
    That mpg sounds ok to me, only problem is the XR's are newer, ie dearer, and the worst bit is they seem to have a higher seat than the standard 800's my budget will prob be around £6000, cheers

7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tone

Tone Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Brighton
    Looks the b's, unfortunately I have to sell a couple of bikes first, but thanks again, I have just looked at a review and they say that triumph do a low seat so will be perfect, thanks all, lm defo going for one of these, look great! I'll let you know when I get one, thank you all again, cheers Tone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Looking forward to seeing your new toy ;););););)

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Tone, that bike I showed you - he has just dropped his asking price by £200.

Buying this bike at £6000 say, would be a bargain and a half !

11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    And it's a blue one!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    The only blue I need to see atm is a blue sky

• Like Like x 1
  13. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Look, you would have been disappointed if one of us hadn't said it! :D:D

14. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    #14 Tiglet, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Tone, I've had my 2013 Tiger 800XC from new, I try not to use motorways and average 52-53mpg.

That's real world day to day riding.

Talking to guys who have aftermarket cans fitted tell me that they lost a couple of mpg since fitting the can.

I'm always sceptical of car or bike manufacturers performance figures o_O

Dave.

15. Tone

Tone Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Brighton
    Sounds interesting, I'll be interested to hear it it changes the "feel"of the bike, cheers Tone.