Speedmaster Front Fork Upgrade

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Wishbone, Jan 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Have set of Hagon 2810 for rear on the way and looking to improve the front end a shade, particularly brake dive and performance on poor surfaces.

Looking at YSS PD emulators and possibly adjustable preload tops.

My question is: are the standard springs that bad? do I really need new springs?

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    WishBone.
    Depends on what you want. My 900 bonnie I have not changed anything as I find they are adequate for my needs. But Hagon are a good start and when you decide what you want up front talk to them they have some great tips and willing to help.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    You can take the caps off, put some more pre-load on by adding length to the spacer's. You can use plastic conduit or water pipe of the appropriate diameter, just make sure it's got thick enough walls. You can play around with length/preload quite cheaply this way and work out if this is enough to meet your need's or go for a more expensive option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Thanks Guys,
    sent an email to George Millburn at TEC, he said just fit the PD valves with original springs and use 15/20w fork oil.
    So have a pair on order and will get oil ordered too.
    Bike has done 12k miles so fork oil refresh is possibly worthwhile any way.

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    If that doesn't work as well as you'd expect, play with the spacers and spring compression , the spacers can be quite a simple way to improve/stiffen the front end !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Not put a lot of miles on the Hagon YSS PD emulators and 15w fork oil but it definately feels more planted at both ends and fork dive under braking is now a lot less and more manageable.

Gonna give it a few months and possibly stick some new springs in, probably progressives to match my 85-90kg weight.

• Like Like x 1