Thruxton Front Brake Upgrades

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by johne, Jan 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I've managed to get some miles under my belt on the Thruxton now and by and large I'm very pleased with it. However I'm finding the single disc front brake (it's an air cooled 900 btw) is a little underwhelming at speed. I've flushed out the old brake fluid and replaced it with new DOT4 and bled the system etc. Its marginally better than before, but I don't think the old fluid was that old to be honest. The brake pads themselves are fairly new, so I'm just wondering what the best way forward is? I heard its possible to fit a 3 piston Nissin calliper in place of the original. I'm not looking to spend a fortune as 85% of the time the brake seems quite adequate, but if there is a decent, cost effective way to make improvements, I'd be most interested to hear your views/experiences.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Who's pads? High quality pads may be the most bang for the buck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    They are EBC. A kind of mid range pad really pricewise. I've used them before on other bikes with good wear life and decent feel, but I was thinking of buying a set of Brembo (pads). I just didn't want to go down that avenue if there was a better solution involving changing the calliper itself.

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Take a look at this thread
    It’s what I have on mine,

• Like Like x 2
  5. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    #5 johne, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Thanks mate, that looks interesting, I take it they are a straight fit or do you need some adaptors? Also (the 64,000 dollar question), on a scale of 1 - 10, the originals being say a 7, how would you rate the Honda pots on your Thruxty?

6. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I fitted a 3 pot caliper to my bonneville. Straight swap to a second hand one off fleabay. Came off a honda cb1000r, IIRC.

Hard to quantify a percentage improvement. But it made a huge difference.

• Like Like x 2
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup straight swap, I find the bike stops! I don’t know if it’s related, my floating disc is getting a bit more play in it, are the bobbins wearing more due to increased pad grip on the disc. Someone can agree or put me right.