from the ashes rose a Phoenix

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Jennoe, Nov 18, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Also check this on you tube for static balancing of carbs, as unless the carbs of been off not sure why the springs would be wrong way round.

2. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    Ok.......is this the obvious bleeding mistake.....mine of course......watched the tunning vid..did that............bought new vacuum caps..did that.............clutch in...did that.........sidestand....sidestand........hang on..let me rush outside in the pouring rain and look.........F..KING SIDESTAND...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............my sidestand it th did away neatly in the ..UP..position.................what a knob.........

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    Doh..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    have you took a spark plug out earthed it on the engine seeing if getting a spark ?

5. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    I think the key word there is " quickly "............I was there for over an hour.......I was on the verge of doing a Basil Faulty with the branch of a tree.........what a tool..............still..come the dawn ,come the day...........

6. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire

Have you had any joy starting it today ?

7. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    Evening fellas............didn't have much time today but................sidestand down I did get lots of puffs......can I say that.??..............of exhaust smoke from said exhaust and she sounded like she wanted to fire..........so definitely a positive step forward. That said I'm still going to check the spark.....the fuel tap and fuel.....and purchase new fuel pipes as the originals are hard. Still think she's turning over to slow but struggling to over come that........All in all a definite + day.........

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    One wonders if the Gods are conspiring against me.!!!!!!!!........fresh fuel.....new fuel line......spark......all good so far.........key in,clutch in and press.............3 turns.....4 turns......BANG.!!!!!!!..........something going on then......and again.....3..4.....BANG.!!!!!!!......that was a bit loud.........hang on......the smell of fuel........investigate.....oh dear.....why do I have fuel running from the filters..???????????..........Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If you're talking about the bike in your avatar they are prone to throw out the sprag clutch if the battery is weak and the engine is turning over slow - THIS IS A CRITICAL ISSUE.

If your battery is not fully up to strength use jumper cables onto a known strong battery before you attempt to turn the engine over again.

10. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    Cheers biglad......I understand the sprag issue has a rattling noise on trying to start......no such noise from mine just those bangs from the exhaust......and fuel from the filters.....I'm lost as to where to go from here.........

11. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    sounds like it is a carburettor isdye float valves not closing a goid strip down get xan carb cleanet no need to split the carbs just get them of bike and on bench do one at a time and get a bowl to put all the o rings in once you have got bike running can dpend money on new jets etc note mine did exactly same whem first started even after rebuild

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    I do feel a bit better that a man of your experience has had a similar problem....no disrespect ment.....and it can be sorted.........so its carbs off......bench strip down and clean and start again...........patience of a saint me...if it wound only just start I'd feel so much better.....

13. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    And to add to my son's....just took the dog for a walk......hit with the overwhelming smell of petrol...check the bike only to find fuel still running out of the filters....Aahhhhhhhhh......quickly took the tank off and stood it on its end can only guess that the fuel tap is also knackered and of the £20 of petrol I put in the tank £5 is on the bloody floor.......I think a pint is called for.......

14. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    Love predictive text........should read....my Wo's......

15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #155 Sprinter, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Air filters on or off?? floats sticking?

16. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #156 sprintdave, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Man you are trying to run before walking. Go back to basics. You have to sort the carbs out,it sounds ( have to agree with others here) as tho the float valves and heights need sorting out,ok the tap may be gone too but may not be as well. Have you left it on prime?/ ie thin end of tap facing up,if so that could be a reason why the fuel is wasted, you have to turn it so it runs level,ie run position when you leave the bike. What does the oil look and smell like now? You may need to change all that as well. I think you are trying to do it on a very tight budget and sometimes it wont work, check everything out one step at a time, take it slow, dont be afraid to ask more questions. You WILL get there I am sure.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Where to go? MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU'VE GOT ENOUGH BATTERY POWER.

18. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    you're right of course........I find I do that a lot with my condition.......time running out and clock ticking..you know the sort of thing I mean................So carb rebuild to start and go from there......cheers fellas you're all legends....

19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  20. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Was the bike a runner when you bought it, if so it is obviously something you have done, just check back. If it wasnt, you need to get the fuel system sorted and the ignition too , are the plug leads on in correct order, you have said you have a spark so it may be in the wrong place wrong time. Like I said slow down take it easy and be methodical. If all is well there and the carbs are sorted you may need to be looking at the valve clearances and valve timing,if the valves are too tight that can cause backfiring and bad starting but please do ALL the simple things first.

• Like Like x 1