Sprint Fork Seals

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Fourbears, Mar 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    One of my fork seals, the right-hand one, will not budge despite the application of plenty of force. So much that my bench is lifting off the floor with each 'slide hammer action'. I have put some penetrating fluid in the 'cup' where the dust seal sits but to no avail. Any suggestions on how to get it out? I have a small cold chisel but due to the fork diameter I cannot use it without damaging the chrome.

2. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Thanks but I have removed the retaining clip, the spring, seat, spacer etc. The seal just won't move.

3. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    can you get a small screwdriver down the outside of the seal? where it sits against the outer leg, not the inner.

you normally only need the slide hammer action to remove the bushes.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Its scary to keep going at it, eh.
    If you have done the other one then you know what to do.
    Double check you have removed clips and keep going, spray some wd40 down between the outside of the seal and the leg. My bench was moving too.
    Its safer to keep doing what your doing than to mess about with screw drivers and stuff, even if it takes half an hour, so what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    I’ll try again tomorrow! I have put Plusgas on it so that might help. I guess another application of brute force may help.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Well I have just spent the last hour trying to get the recalcitrant seal out to no avail. I have managed to make the outer metal ring smaller but it still won't budge. The use of a slide hammer will, most likely, result in it coming free but the size of the top thread precludes this. I did wonder whether the application of heat would work but not sure about that. I am not worried about the paint as I will be repainting the forks. What to do....

7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hows it going?

8. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    I haven't done anything today! I may have another look tomorrow appointments permitting/

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    At long last.... Just spent a productive hour in the man cave trying various options to hold the fork leg while trying to break the stanchion free. In the end it was simple - I put it back in the yokes, tightened the clamps, put the axle on and a couple of good tugs later (oooeerr matron) and it came free! Don't know why I didn't do that first! Oh well lesson learnt! I need new bushes as the Teflon coating is worn off in places on the top one and damaged on the bottom one where it wouldn't come out. Most relieved!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Well finally got the bushes and seals replaced. Just got to finish painting the lower legs so I can refit them. Mind you I am painting the wheels too.....

• Like Like x 3