Fork Gaters

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Jadorff, Feb 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I agree, definitely replace the gator. They do an excellent job and your fork seals will last much longer.
    Don't bother with glue, it won't last. its an easy job to remove the wheel and mudguard and then drop the fork leg out to change the gator.

2. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    replaced the gates with these though I had to get them from England

IMG_4077.jpg

3. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Nice, they will help protect the stanchions from stones etc.
    The old fashioned gaitors are still the best but seem to have fallen out of fashion a bit now.
    Not much "cool factor " l suppose.
    My old 1966 BSA has them but they do need replacement every few years.

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #24 sprintdave, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Wow you just reminded me. I had a bsa 650 rocket with gaiters on the forks, they seemed a tight fit but water must have got in through the top buy not got out again. I went to a bike show in Walsall at Alumwell centre with my mates in winter and left the bike parked outside. When we rode back my forks were solid due to the water freezing, made for a very weird ride home. Had to gently use a blowtorch to defrost the springs next day and put cable ties on the top to stop it happening again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I'm also a fan of gaitors on conventional forks. On upside down types, like on my dirtbike and ZZR the stanchions usually have protective shields ether seperate or built into the front mudguard. If the Street Scrambler didn't have them I'd have fitted some. As said above, fitting them isn't that difficult. Wheel out, calipers off and drop the forks out of the yokes.

6. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    In my case i am pushing 70th and cant be bothered pulling the forks out And i never go off the bitchman