Footpeg Relocation

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Trent, Jul 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Trent

Trent New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Ohio USA
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2009 America and am looking to move my foot pegs. There are a couple companies that offer relocation kits but have some concerns about them. Norman Hyde seems to be the most popular but that kit cost $400 and move the pegs back but not down. A company called aacycleproducts makes a kit that moves the pegs back 2" and down 1" but still cost $175 and don't seem to be as popular in the market as Norman Hyde. I also found MFW Vario makes an adjustable foot peg. It cost $66.95 for the mount and $35.95 for the pegs. They are not actually designed for cruisers but look like they could work. I don't have trouble reaching the pegs, (I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam) pressure on my tailbone is the issue. I hate to spend over $100 and not be sure if it will solve the problem. Has anyone tried any of these or know of another solution? I am also planning on buying an Airhawk seat pad. They are also expensive but at least it is a universal item that I can sell to someone else I don't like it.

Thanks for any advice,
    Trent.

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi Trent,
    I am sure some of the 'America' guys will be along with actual details of their mods.
    Just be careful buying cheap with things of this nature.
    The materials used play a significant part in the quality and longevity of a very important part of your bike.
    A lot of weight is naturally put on those rests during normal riding and cornering so they need to be fit for purpose.
    No point in paying too much and getting ripped off, but no point in having to buy twice either if the cheap shit fails.
    My gut feeling is circa $200 but I am sure more knowledgeable members will guide you.
    Quite a few articles on Airhawk seats and gel pads etc on the forum. Personal choice I think, nice thing about the separate pads is they can be used to improve a multitude of uncomfortable seats. (Sitting through school plays, sports venues etc.)
    Might find they move about a bit when cornering on the bike though ?

3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Try moving the bars ! I have America 08/09 yr model, I had lower back/tail bone issue's, Moved my bars 2" higher using speedmaster risers , issue solved no butt issues and my back learned/liked the new position ...! :)

cheers capt.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
  5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Hi & welcome to the forum.

How long you been riding the America ?

I had a couple of months where it hurt my tailbone, after moving from a sportsbike to a cruiser, the seating position is totally different. Might take a few weeks to get used to? I know my arse bone was killing me at first (same as the wrists), but after a 1000 mile trip round the highlands, I was fine. Just took time to get used to it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Trent

Trent New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Ohio USA
    Thanks for the information everyone. I think I am going to start with small changes and work my up until I find what works. I am going to start with a seat pad. The problem is that the back of the seat pushes against my tailbone. Maybe if I get a seat mad that raises me up a 1/2 inch or so it will solve the problem. Next will be foot peg relocation to see of that rotates my hips and moves me away from the the back of the seat. I have upper back and neck problems and right now riding this bike doesn't seem to bother that area. I am concerned about changing too much and causing issues there. I'll keep you all posted on changes I make and what helps and what doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Have to agree with Mr O
    When I first get on my speedmaster for a ride out the first 10-15 minutes feels a bit uncomfortable but when I get going and settle into the bike ride the whole seating/foot peg and handle bar position becomes very comfortable and I can ride as far as the tank will allow :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dougsbike

Dougsbike New Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Dunstable
    Hi, just read this about raising the handlebars on your America, I am looking to do the same, did you have to lengthen the cables?
    thanks Doug

9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia

10. Dougsbike

Dougsbike New Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Dunstable
    many thanks for the information capt I will now go and take a serious look at raising them up :)

• Like Like x 1