Football Wtf

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by stinger, Apr 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    #1 stinger, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    So it transpires that Premier League football clubs are using the furlough scheme to pay the poorest members of their staff so they can continue to pay the mega indulged players their vastly inflated wages and to quote the BBC

"Many are now asking whether the government's taxpayer-funded job retention scheme was really designed for clubs who - in the case of Spurs for instance - have profits of £68m, a Bahamas-based owner worth £4bn, a chairman paid £7m, and players who, on average, earn £70,000 per week."

On the same day it also emerged that Manchester City for one club was continuing to take direct debits for season ticket payments and payments for tickets from said season ticket holders for the next round of the champions league even though they have no clear idea when or even if said fixtures will continue. As a token to the potential hardship this might cause to people they said they would refund payments to people who contacted them. Very generous you might think, however these people would then lose their season tickets so they can sell them to someone else.

It would also seem that playing out the season "behind closed doors" isn't for any real competitive reason but as a means to avoid financial penalties from TV rights holders. This despite the risks to their own staff, players, stadium officials and the further risks to others of sending these large numbers of people around the country.

All these immense wages (see below) are paid for largely by television subscriptions from around the world and the billionaire owners just want their own slice of the pie. Having lost my job and economies have to be made, i feel that sky sports is now my number one priority as a cut back and i further feel that football's total disconnect with what happens in the real world means i no longer have any interest in it at all.

I personally feel that it would be no bad thing if the global pandemic resulted in the whole world following suit and that these people found out that along with COVID 19, football itself had killed the goose that laid the golden egg and they all went bust as everyone refused to buy their product in the ridiculous numbers and ridiculous prices they currently command.

Premier League Salaries.jpg

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    #2 crispey, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    I’m afraid with supporters making a stand over prices will never happen when you consider that they’ve paid the inflated prices they have been for decades now, quite happily, no matter what their income is. When football starts up again there’ll be a mad scramble to get a seat at the first game that tickets will probably change hands at 3 times their face value!
    Some clubs abroad have voluntarily deferred and reduced their wages but when you consider the average Premier league footballer earns around £70,000 a week I think the clubs here are taking the piss, but then again there are mostly owned by foreign business men so why should they care?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Over paid, underachieving tossers the lot of them with perhaps half a dozen exceptions :mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I would hope that this injustice will eventually be fixed by public opinion.......

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek: Footballers are worth every Feckin penny that they earn and they should NOT be expected to give up any of their hard earned salaries no matter what the situation is :mad:

now Feck off and pick on someone else :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    Lots of people seem to be jumping on the footballers but it's the club's not the players that are not paying the non playing staff. Also what about the likes of Richard Bransons Virgin empire laying staff off when he has a net worth of 3.8 Billion dollars and wants the government to bail out his airline.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Nah! it was Argentina wasn't it??? :p:p:p:joy:

8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Your are a tease @Bad Billy ......

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Got to be done mate, can't be serious for too long .... makes Billy a sad boy! :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    See if this cheers you up mate...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You’re right there, but surely the players can make a decision by themselves to do something as in other countries or are they waiting on advice from their agents.?
    You might have noticed that the thread is call football wtf which is why it’s about football, now you could start one called Branson empire wtf and I’m sure you’ll get loads of responses:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Kinda sums up the entire culture of the game. Over indulged, snowflakes who earn more than life saving surgeons for kicking a ball around once a week. Boils my piss as you may have sensed.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    It is the market forces that drive their wages. If people are prepared to pay for sky/bt tv and to go to games and buy merchantise the players will always profit... It ain't fair, but it is what makes the world go round...

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    True dat, its the overall culture that bugs me

• Like Like x 1
  15. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The PFA has said that the proposed 30% players pay cut would be "detrimental to our NHS" as it would result in a loss of tax contributions to the government.
    P*ss is already boiling! :mad::mad:

16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:mad:FFS:mad:
    Every time something goes wrong in this Feckin country footballers are vilified :mad:
    I’ve been watching the news
    People having bbq’s FFS:mad:
    Gathering in public places :mad:
    Riding Feckin motorbikes :mad:
    Visiting friends and family :mad:
    But :eek: it’s all the fault of Feckin footballers because they’ve got loads of Feckin money....JEEZUS :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It's more of a rant against the ludicrous stance of the players union after some players volunteered to take the cut. Arguing that cutting salaries would affect the funding available to the NHS is a feckin disgrace under the circumstances. :mad::mad:

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Football? Yawn. Probably the best thing to come out of this crisis, that we get a break from that rubbish. Yes, I know my opinion of course,but I'd sooner watch paint dry.:sleeping:

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  20. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    Covid19 = less football on tv/radio/nightly news etc etc.
    No “experts” stating the bleeding obvious before and after every game for hours on end.
    EVERY CLOUD.............

• Funny Funny x 4