Fluffy Daytona 600

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Musson, Apr 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Musson

Musson Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Chesterfield
    Hey guys,

My Daytona 600 is becoming a bit of a pig to ride through towns and pull away, I've read all about the standard mapping being a bit pants. It does have a k&n filter a race can and Iridium plugs, other than having it mapped/ buying a power commander or putting it back to standard do any of you have any suggestions?

I have standard filter on it way and I've considered buying a more road friendly end can as well.

All advice is appreciated guys.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Daytona 600 fuelling was much improved over the TT600 which was the previous model. My Daytona 955i was much smoother before the engine warmed up fully, which I put down to a slightly richer mixture until normal working temperature was reached (running a legal carbon end can). This was sorted when serviced, without me pointing it out!
    Some say that iridium plugs can cause poor running. Never tried 'em myself, but it may be a possibility.

3. Musson

Musson Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Chesterfield
    Mine again is fine until it warm I have pipewerx hawk race can that's not strictly road legal, I think I'm going to try putting the standard filter and can on it and see what happens but I will be buying a road legal can before long.because the drone of my current one on a bypass is becoming unbearable

• Like Like x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Some extra noise is usually a good thing:cool:, but too much can be very tiresome after a while: unamused:. Guess how I know this!!!:rolleyes:

5. Musson

Musson Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Chesterfield
    The same way as I do I'm guessing, I've put the standard can back on and it has improved, if I ask for more throttle I get a lot of induction noise before anything happens.

I have a standard filter in the post should be here today or tomorrow so I'll fit that see what happens and then start my tuning mission again.

I'll need to find someone local to me who can refresh my ecu or or I'll buy a power commander if not,

• Like Like x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Progress eh? Good!
    I've no working knowledge of them, but as they are on your doorstep, would it not be worth picking the brains at World of Triumph? Getting the right tune in your ecu has to be cheaper than forking out for a Power Commander?
    Never had to do it but 'Tune ecu' from the jolly old interweb thingy may be worth investigating if you can do it yourself. I believe you need a good cable to do the download properly - the name 'lonelec' springs to mind for the cable - but I'm getting out of my depth a bit now!
    Just thinking (there's a first!) out loud, really.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Musson

Musson Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Chesterfield
    I've been thinking about going to triumph but I had a bad experience with them a few years ago and told myself I'd never go back if I can get the ecu flashed I'd rather do that than plugging bits in. Failing that, a local bike garage can flash tech's I don't know if they can on something as old as mine though.

8. Musson

Musson Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Chesterfield
    Quick update, I've managed to put the standard end can and air filter in the bike. Although I haven't end chance to take it further than around the block initial impressions are good. The bike now ticks over properly and isn't "hunting" up and down to find idle and it pulls away smoothly from 2000 rpm where as before it wouldn't move without stalling below 6000 rpm, hoping to take it a run out this afternoon after work

• Like Like x 4
  9. Musson

Musson Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Chesterfield
    Managed to get the bike out earlier.

The standard air filter had transformed it, it's no longer a pig to ride on traffic or when pulling away, it still needs a good few revs to pull away smoothly but nothing stupid.

Although I am going to try running it with my pipewerx end can on after the MOT, I can't deal with the standard sound how much more restricted it feels as it climbs through the revs.

But all in all, it's better and working so I'm mostly happy

• Like Like x 2
  10. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Sounds like you need to have it setup professionally when you go back to the other can.

11. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    As far as I remember there was no tune for a d600 with a can so std is much better.
    Guy to set it up right is Clive Wood. They were the 1st bikes to use keihin efi (before was sagem) and a pain to set up, and I doubt many triumph techs (filter spinners) will know anything about them.

12. Musson

Musson Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Chesterfield
    Hey guys,

I've managed to fix my issue, turns out it was a knackered clip, the one that clips the air box to the throttle body wasn't sealing at all.

£4.50 later and it's sorted, I've also installed an aftermarket fuel controller and that's smoothes out the issue with pulling away and slow speed.

So I'm happy for the time being

• Like Like x 3