Flooring

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by crispey, Oct 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ok who can give me an idea on flooring for my garage? I want rubber/vinyl matting type stuff but all the stuff I see is for gyms and play areas as well and not sure if its robust enough for bikes being put onto centre stands etc, on a bit of a budget. ta

2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Hi Crispey, Where all on budgets mate, as an idea I bought a shit load of used carpet squares great quality the kind used in offices each one quarter inch thick with a thick hard rubber backing smoothed out my garage floor a treat and on top of that extremely hard wearing, plus decent few spares to change should I need to. highly recommend

• Like Like x 4
  3. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Sure you cannot get by with carpet instead? Any carpet fitter would be happy to let you have a roomsize piece instead of paying trade disposal on it. Might be a horrible pattern mind. When we re-did our whole house 10 years ago I kept the dreadful "pub" carpet that was in the front room when we moved in and, much to the builder's amusement, cut it to size. Don't care about the odd spillage or damage as I can replace it just as freely. Dare say an office renovations business could let you have tiles just as easily too, or (asking first of course) do a bit of skip diving outside a building being done up as they always replace the flooring.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    The only drawback with this is that over time it deforms and the edges start to curl up ( they call it cow mats here ) so it no longer lies flat, I have several pieces I use if I need to kneel or lie on the shed floor generally comes in 8' x 4' sheets.

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I used this from Amazon
    Rubber flooring
    3m x 1.5m a couple lengths of that at £33 each
    Amazon link
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I just put a piece of tile under the side stand to stop it digging in
    Stops the concrete dust
    Catches any oil lube dripping from the chain
    Easy to sweep/wipe

• Like Like x 1
  7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    the floor has a wooden frame with chip board screwed to it, there is a carpet on top but my missus says she wants to keep it. don't ask!! so i was thinking of putting the flooring down on top of the carpet in the area where the bikes would be. Maybe just getting a new bit of carpet when needed would be the easier option and laying some rubber mat under the bikes to catch drips

8. Eastbournemark

Eastbournemark Proud Snowflake

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #9 TEZ 217, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    This post IMHO has just turned into one that's ended up as enjoyable and worthwhile as one of Dilligaf's finest :(:(:( :p:p:mad:
    Plus agree you do need something to catch the DRIP :rolleyes: :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mike in NH

Mike in NH Member

May 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    • Like Like x 1
  11. typeo123

typeo123 Member

May 25, 2017
    Berkshire, UK
    I used these: https://www.ecotileflooring.com/product/e5007/

They seemed to get probably the best reviews on PistonHeads forums when this topic was discussed and they are used by some big name garage chains in their workshops so should be strong enough. I doubled them up where the feet of my bike lift rest. No problems so far. I also prep'd the concrete floor with a sealer, and floor paint before I put these down in the hope I don't have to do any more with it for some years.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Avinarant

Avinarant Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Leeds
    Use your trade discount cart for Halfords they sell the tiles for garage floors, come with edging pieces they look quite good and I would think easy to lay.

13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thanks I got some rolls of rubber matting that seem to be working ok

• Like Like x 1
  14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Do you know anyone on the railways?
    I have a painted floor with strategic rubber matting placed in certain areas like in front of the lathe. One sides smooth but the other is ribbed :worried: so which ever takes your fancy.
    Plus it's rated for 650 volts if your doing anything silly.... might be handy, you can never be over cautious :p

15. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    if your bike is putting out 650V there may be something wrong with your RegRec :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Not that floor paint would be suitable for crispey..... was doing research for daughter moving into a brand new house.

I was intrigued/amused to see a marked divide in people’s reviews. It did not seem to occur to a lot folk that a concrete floor with minimal cement and therefore one grade up from compacted sand was not going to be cured by a layer of paint......and that blaming the paint was a tad harsh.

Floor construction matters......whatever you then put on it.

17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I agree Tez, never really thought about putting a cover on my garage floor, but having followed this thread I think I might just do it.
    Wessa

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Floor tiles, fit once and forget and not that costly if you shop around.