Fixing Pinlock Seal

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Notso, Oct 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Just returned from a fogged up ride, which was a bit irritating as I have a Pinlock on the visor. I realised out on the road that the fogging was between the visor and the Pinlock. Just had a look and can see it has a gap at the bottom, so I released and re-fitted it. My Arai Axces 3 max vision doesn't have the adjustable pins, they are rectangular and fixed on mine. The problem is that once I re-fitted the visor to the helmet the gap reappeared. I fiddled the the Pinlock whilst the visor was fitted and got it to seal, only to seperate when I opened and closed the visor.

So thinking I need to make the seal and fit better. First thought was to remove the Pinlock, run a bead of clear sealant along the bottom where the gap appears. This idea could get messy.

Second idea was to try and make the pins that holds the Pinlock wider so they squeeze the Pinlock a bit more, the same effect as the adjustable ones. Perhaps wrap a copper wire around the pins.

Anyone had this problem and found a solution or got any other ideas?

2. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    How old is the pinlock? They do wear out. Also, is the visor fitted correctly?

3. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Thanks, it's about 2 years old. The visor seems to work ok, I do find it hard to fit back in the helmet, but once I finally get the visor fitted into the helmet, it opens a closes ok. It seems to be the slight distortion of the visor when opening or closing that nudges the Pinlock out of contact.

4. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I've had the pinlock seal go hard after awhile and not sealing properly. I just got a new one and all was good again.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. Will report back when I try things out in case it is helpful.