Thruxton Fitting Nose Fairing

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Glyn Phillips, Jul 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Hi all.
    I want to fit the cafe racer nose fairing to my 1200 Thruxton S. problem is I still want to use the standard handlebars rather than the drops, has anyone done this as Triumph don’t approve it.

2. Kiwidave4

Kiwidave4 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Yes I have. The only problem is the clearance from the brake reservoir. I just lowered the risers till I had clearance then made a couple of spacers for the locator screws. The spacers are 8mm long.

20180106_113351.jpg

3. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Silly question but how much difference to the riding position did the 8mm drop make it feel?

4. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    My Thruxton R has the cafe racer fairing and riser handlebars with no need to drop them; I was keen on this because the drop handlebars on the demo machine gave me tingling wrists after 45 minutes or so of riding. Instead, the brake fluid reservoir is rotated inboard and clears the fairing with ease. I don't know if rotating the reservoir required a new hose or anything else but to see what I describe, take a look at this photograph I took in the showroom before buying the bike. I hope this is relevant and helpful.

180529171030.jpg

5. Kiwidave4

Kiwidave4 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I dont know because the fairing and the low bars were fitted when I bought the bike but I had all the non-fairing parts included in the deal. Rode for about 1500km with the low bars then decided to try the standard bars which I have left on. I am 72 and not quite as supple as I once was, and I although was happy with the low bars it seemed silly not to try the standard bars as I had them.
    I traded a VTR1000 for the Thruxton so the low bars were pretty much what I was used to. This does not help you but to me after years on sports bikes the standard bars even when lowered 8mm seem really 'sit up and beg'.

6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Thanks guys I might give it a go now I know

7. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    the brake fluid reservoir on the S is different than the R as the R has the round Brembo one. Still shouldnt be a problem that you can get around. put on the fairing and tweek the reservoir bracket to clear the fairing.

8. DaMuck

DaMuck Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Austria
    Hello,
    which diameter have the little spacers? I think its the best way to install the fairing without lower handlebars.
    Greetings
    DaMuck

9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I ended up fitting the lower bars.i tried the lowered flat bar and it wasn’t as comfortable for me as the the low bar kit.
    You probably want to sit on the lower bar version before deciding.

10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Sorry do you have an R or S? Only if you have an R you just have to swivel the master cylinder reservoir around to clear the fairing

11. DaMuck

DaMuck Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Austria
    My local Triumph Dealer dont have any bikes with the lower bars, so i can‘t try it.
    i thought it‘s easier with the original bars, so i spare me the work (remove yoke) with the lower ones.

12. DaMuck

DaMuck Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Austria
    My local Triumph Dealer dont have any bikes with the lower bars, so i can‘t try it.
    i thought it‘s easier with the original bars, so i spare me the work (remove yoke) with the lower ones.

13. DaMuck

DaMuck Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Austria
    Thruxton without r

14. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    My previous bike was a Daytona 675, so I’m used to the lower bars, and I tried lowering the flat bars by the 8 mm that Kiwidave has done but it actually felt less comfy than the lower bars.
    Undo the Bolts that stop the bars from turning, then lower both bars with the 8 mm gap and see how it feels

15. DaMuck

DaMuck Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Austria
    There are so many different opinions about the fairing without low handlebars.
    My mechanican said the breakfluid reservoir hit the fairing with the original bars and i habe to install the lower ones.

16. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Mine has the lower bars but Kiwidave see previous pics lowered his standard bars.i tried both and felt more comfortable on the lower set.
    You can drop your bars by 8mm to see if it feels ok before fitting

9009178D-EE4C-44CA-A0EE-A136DA0E1BDA.jpeg

17. DaMuck

DaMuck Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Austria
    The difference from the orginal bars to the lower are 7cm, i think 8mm isn‘t much and feels probanly same

18. DaMuck

DaMuck Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Austria
    beautiful bike how tall are you? I‘m 183cm, i‘m afraid that i get back and wrist pain with the lower bars

19. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Height is probably very similar but the drop bars are slightly more angled

20. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I’m 185 cm 6 ft 1 but as I say I’m used to the lower riding position from previous bikes