Fitting Electronic Ignition

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by LIL. CHRIS, Apr 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LIL. CHRIS

LIL. CHRIS New Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Merseyside
    Hi. all.This is my first thread so go easy on me.I want to know if fitting electronic ignition to my 1966 T20 Tiger Cub will help in its starting and running.Bit of a dodgy knee and throught it might help in starting the bike up.Also any help on the best type and make to fit.Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    It will help with providing a better spark...but ignition timing and carb setup is going to have a bigger influence.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Read the blurb. The newer systems advance and retard as no sprung bobweight ever could.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    ?? whats that got to do with ignition timing setup? if its not set correctly no amount of advance/retard is going to help which was my point same as carb setup, if fueling is not set right ignition is not going to help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I did say ‘read the blurb’. They are set up (usually with a strobe) at full advance once the engine is warm. The box of tricks then does the rest much like the ignition map for a modern bike by measuring rpm. Self evidently fuelling accuracy with a carb is quite separate.
    So, of course initial set up matters but they don’t lose tune like points and are inherently more reliable than mechanical systems.. For my money they are THE best upgrade without compromising originality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    LIL. CHRIS.
    Welcome to the Family. I see your question has been well and truly answered. But yes like Tricky-Dicky said set up properly along with carbs balanced will most definitely make life easier. Don't forget to drop us a picture of the Steed.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LIL. CHRIS

LIL. CHRIS New Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Merseyside
    Thanks all for your replies, they have been a big help before I decide what route to take.Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  9. LIL. CHRIS

LIL. CHRIS New Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Merseyside
    Hi.All.I have made my mind up and am going to fit electronic ignition.(PAZON). All the reviews are good so Im going ahead.I have managed to download the fitting instructions before I buy just to see what is involved fitting it to my bike,and it seems straight forward.Just one thing concerns me though.I says to set the timing at Full Advance which on my bike according to the CUB BIBLE.is 32 Deg. and 0.238" piston position BTDC.Can somebody tell how they got this measurement for 32 Deg..It does seem a large amount.It might be obvious but at my age ie.brain cells etc.

10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I put a Dyna Tek system in my GS750 last year, shes still not on the road so I havnt completely finished with it aaaaalthough it fires and runs well. I used a earth and a bulb to set mine.

I spoke to a Granada owner today who fitted electronic ignition to it ,and had to retard the timing a little, I wonder if this is usual?

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I imagine it was determined on a dyno but it is very much in the ballpark for a 4 stroke with reasonable compression ratios. The electronics will retard the advance according to engine speed.

12. TonMan

TonMan New Member

Apr 2, 2021
    Toronto
    When fitting your electronic ignition what did you end up with for BTDC, 32 Degrees (0.238")?