Featured Fitted Footpeg Relocation Kit To My Speedmaster…….

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Scoot65, Apr 5, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Some of you may have seen my recent thread about changing the stock '05 risers for later model rises which raise the 'bars up and bring them back towards the rider 2".

Due to being a bit short in the leg, I've always found the reach to the forward foot controls on my Speedmaster a bit of a stretch, so I've been looking out for a solution to the leg stretch.

I saw a Norman Hyde foot peg relocation kit up for auction on ebay and I was lucky enough to win the auction.

The kit is a straight swap for the factory items. It includes a new gear change connecting rod, footpegs and brake / gear change pedal.

Today I finished swapping the standard rider footpegs for the Norman Hyde foot kit. The kit brings the front pegs 4" closer to the rider. This, combined with the pull back risers I fitted a couple of weeks ago now make the riding position a lot more comfortable.

Here's the before and after pics…………….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Looks a tidy job there pal ;)

3. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Looks good, I was thinking of doing the same on mine even thought I don't have the same problem as your good self. Let us know how it rides.:D

4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Massive difference in pedal positions !!!

5. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for the replies, fellas!

Yes, the pegs being back 4" makes all the difference. My legs are now bent with my knees touching the tank, it feels a lot more comfortable. Prior to fitting the kit, my legs were at pretty much full stretch......... especially when applying the rear brake!!

The new peg location, combined with the risers I fitted a couple of weeks ago, now make the Speedmaster feel like it fits me perfectly. All in all it's cost £100, £30 for the risers and £70 for the relocation kit (both bought off that well known auction site).

Now, I just need to change that far too quiet stock exhaust for something that will make the bike sound as it looks. I'm seriously thinking about cocktail shakers..........

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hulltriumph

Hulltriumph New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Hull
    Hi, like what you've done with the pegs and controls. Can you tell me is it a do at home job or did you need any specific tools. Also what bars did you fit , where did you get them from ? Like you I'm short legged and am buying a bonneville in two weeks, I want the speed master but have reservations about the pegs.

7. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    #7 Scoot65, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    I'm 29" inseam...

I did all of the work myself, it was pretty much straight forward to complete. No special tools required.

My Speedmaster is a 2005 model, I believe that the more recent models have the footpegs moved an inch or two nearer to the rider which will obviously help.

Regarding the bars, I kept the original bars but used the newer Speedmaster / Storm risers which raised the bars and also brought them back two inches. This made a massive difference and feels much more comfortable with less reach'.

Regarding the foot peg relocation kit. It's a Norman Hyde kit (pricey if bought new at about £300. I looked daily on ebay and managed to get a kit from there for £70, same with the handlebar risers, kept looking on ebay and found a pair for £30.

Here's a thread regarding changing the risers....
    http://www.thetriumphforum.co.uk/threads/swapped-stock-2005-risers-for-newer-model-risers.5427/

Before making the mods to the Speedmaster, I was able to ride it OK, but it just felt that little bit of stretch.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    That'll be better for your back too!

9. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Yes, definitely!!

10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Looks good mate and if it's more comfortable for you = job well done :)

11. baldybiker

baldybiker Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Hertford
    I too, am a 29 inch inside leg but I fitted footboards to my speedster which I think helped. I can see the considerable difference your modification would have made.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    #12 Scoot65, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    I considered floorboards, but that option would not bring the rear brake and gear pedals any nearer to me.

13. Hulltriumph

Hulltriumph New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Hull
    Thanks for all the info and advice, got two americas and a speed master lined up for test rides next week and have no reservations now so will be buying one of them definitely and doing the same additions as yurself cheers

• Like Like x 2
  14. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    That's good. Report back with how you got on with the test rides.

15. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    My America has boards fitted if you buy one with pegs and want to compare it to boards you're welcome to have a look. What years are you looking at? They changed a few bits over the years.
    Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Hulltriumph

Hulltriumph New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Hull
    Will do scoot, thanks Andy might take you up on that one day soon. The bikes are a 2007 and a 2010 ( narrowed it down to the two, one at Jax in York and the other at rite bike in Bradford ).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Also, be aware that the handlebars on the America are more pulled back than the Speedmaster......

18. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Is the 2007 carbs or efi? I've had quite a pain getting the efi on my 2011 america to work to my satisfaction. I made a fuss of the wife and took her out for fish and chips tonight and can report that the fueling is much improved with the ttp fuel map and extras. Had to dry the bike before I put it to bed though as it rained on the way home. I think the wife may have got wet as well but I can't be sure as j was busy drying the bike.
    Andy

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Hulltriumph

Hulltriumph New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Hull
    Hi all, would like to ask for advice on a different matter if I may, next week I will be buying the America from a 'proper' bike dealer, it will be the first time I have done so and would like to get a bit of advice on what degrees of haggling over the price is acceptable? How much do they expect to be knocked down by or do they even negotiate prices in dealers ? I appreciate there are numerous points one could use in bartering but I'm really looking for an overall 'likely' percentage to knock off the asking price ? I've looked through MCN and auto trader for average prices to compare it too and to be honest I think the price is OK and I'm willing to pay it if I have to get the bike, but it's always good to get something off and I think they allow for that when they set the asking price, I could get the relocating foot peg kit from Norman Hyde if I got £300 off ! It's a 2010, fsh, 4752 miles, aftermarket pipes, sissy and rack, optimiser, asking for £4,895 I'm thinking of offering £4,500 am I'm being unrealistic or is it possible ? Any buying advice will be appreciated thanks

• Like Like x 1
  20. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Tell them that you want the Norman Hide kit otherwise the deal is off :p
    Be ready to walk out the door !
    These people need units out the door no matter how nice they are to you ;)
    There's always room for negotiation.......be cool :cool:and tell them that you're also looking at a private deal which is a good deal cheaper :pand
    would pay for the kit
    Play them cos if you don't they'll play you!!!!
    Good luck mate and hopefully you'll get what you're after :)

I would have went for the speedmaster :blush:

Just saying :imp: