First Time Pillion

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by DanielB, Apr 16, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    We (my wife and I) have toured all over Europe and the British isles by bike and have never used or wanted to use a comms system. We can and do often sit quietly for long periods of time without the need to constantly chatter away. I like the peace and quiet of this way of touring. Each to their own but definitely recommend trying a few rides without comms before spending a lot of money on something you might not need or want.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    99% of the time we wear open face helmets, no intercoms thank you, been shouting and pointing for 45 years, but enjoy the shared peace in-between.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thank you Glen and Pat; a different and useful perspective...

So far the only thing to have been "invested" in is a helmet; jacket and trousers were all bargains had in charity shop...gloves sorted, boots sorted...

So I think, as others have all suggested, best just get out there and see how it goes. I'm sure we'll soon work out were the gaps are in our equipment, if any.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    In case no one else mentioned it, let your pillion hold on around your waist if they need to feel secure (expect the occasional helmet bump), or grab rails if they’re happy enough with them. Don’t let them hold your shoulders or they can pull you backwards when you accelerate, which is not what you want when you have the throttle in your right hand…

Mostly, as people have said, take it nice and easy to get used to riding together. You’ll work out what’s best for you as you go along. Happy smiles are the goal. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Alexiscasazza

Alexiscasazza New Member

Dec 26, 2021
    Texas USA
    It's like dancing. If the pillion holds you, they will be one with you and dancing through the twisties is fun. You will bump helmets occasionally, it happens. I used the shoulder tap technique for communicating, Ended up buying my own bike and eventually got comms.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Cornelii

Cornelii Active Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK, Notts/S.Yorks

I always taught my pillions to hold onto my waist (and I found that very useful as I could "feel" their emotions depending how tightly they held!)
    However I'm getting older and larger around the waist so arms no longer go all the way around and I the last few times I've been concerned about losing my wife off the back, so this week, when I decided to take my youngest son out for his first ride(s) I bought one of those pillion handles (the Oxford one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002XLKLCG/) and my experiences are:

Firstly it took a few minutes to work out how the 2 belts fitted (there are 2, one clipped and one velcro, so even if one fails then it won't come off) and I felt very comfortable wearing it and secure knowing my son would be safe.
    However it did cover the zip to my pockets, so getting into pockets was a bit more difficult.
    In terms of in use, I felt more secure knowing my son had a good grip and he also felt very comfortable holding them (he still can't get over the fact that there's no seatbelt like a car )
    He was relaxed and in fact a model pillion just going naturally with the lean of the bike and never upset the balance with odd movements.
    It was very comfortable in fact I almost forgot he was there.
    I lost the "feel" of someone holding around my waist (but I also never got that if they had a grab-rail to use, either).
    The only thing we did notice is that on the third long-ish trip he relaxed too much and didn't keep his back straight so could feel his back from slouching poorly.
    Overall, it's a great item for the pillion and gives them additional options, and I'm extremely glad I bought the item.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks @Cornelii ; That's a real useful review and am considering one already.

What does your son wear, when pillion, out of interest?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cornelii

Cornelii Active Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK, Notts/S.Yorks
    He's now 16 so getting him a moped (he's currently doing his CBT today, so I'm sat here waiting to hear from him ). As such we got him some proper gear, suitable for both the 30mph model and a longer high-speed ride.
    The bits that look like bike gear are the helmet, jacket and gloves, then we got some leisure style, though still bike specific jeans and and short boots. My ethos is that a pillion needs to be as safe as the rider and so should wear similar clothing dependent on the journey.
    My personal minimum if I take someone pillion is, arms, legs and hands covered plus some stout shoes, then choose the roads and ride according to what they are wearing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Excellent, thank you - and I agree, I think there no reason for the pillion to be any less geared up.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Popped our cherries!

That's eldest boy on the back as he was simply itching to go, whereas wife is happy to wait :rolleyes:

I generally have all the suspension settings 'soft' but actually wound them all to 'normal'...to give me a new datum...(having ridden solo for a few days at this new normal first).

Boy loved it in every conceivable way!
    I didn't hate it, and will certainly do it again and more...but a few initial thoughts...

You can certainly feel a weight distribution difference, but corners round town were just slow and steady.

At any stops my legs were spreeeead(!)

Acceleration and general performance is way more than either of us desire, so no issues on that front. And certainly put smiles on all faces.

I did notice...he wiggles! That's ver disconcerting... He did it to just adjust his seating position, fair enough, but you can really feel it....I am sure I'll get used to it,.first time and all...

The main thing is that he was busy experimenting with what to hold on to and where. But I found it really disconcerting when he held on lightly and gently...but maybe will get used to that as well.

Also he said he felt better sitting 'back' on the seat. Whereas I preferred it when he was slipped forwards and hugged up tight (not that we were in any way going at speed). But I had a fear that he sitting right back would be bad. But I don't think it really was...

So, all in all a really useful and positive first ride out together!

IMG-20220419-WA0006.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  11. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    It's better if the pillion does all the wriggling about before you get going!

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I'd have thought so too! :laughing:
    I fear though that he moves around naturally,.and then needs to adjust... But it's early days...

13. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Oh, and "Comms" were fine by just speaking loudly when wind noise allowed ....infact, I'd say it was better than I was anticipating!

14. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    Glad you had a good time Daniel. It might be worth noting that the Speed Triple is not really the best bike for carrying a pillion. The higher and further back the pillion is the more effect there is on handling and balance of the bike.

My Mrs has ridden pillion on just about every bike I've had and the last two I've owned have been the best for carrying a passenger, a Bonnie and a tiger 800.

The thing she dislikes most is an uncomfy saddle on long rides, and let's me know all about it. For this reason alone I recommend you don't get on bike communications.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks @Patchinko . I agree,.although I have nothing to compare it to, I had always accepted that my S3 wouldn't be the best bike for this.

Alas, I bought the bike on a whim...fell in love with it...and now am too scared of selling it as I know I'll regret it! Plus...I can't really afford anything else, so may as well stick with where I'm at!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    And if they must do it on the move then only when you are bolt upright :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    The angle of the pillions legs tell you everything, when riding you are moving your feet frequently for gears and brakes and feet down at stops and junctions etc. The pillion however is expected to keep their feet and body generally still for long periods of time, this is exacerbated by a sports style bike. Keep rides short and build up to longer distances to accustom pillions to sitting in that position, take more fag/pee/coffee stops to allow for a stretch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @DanielB:
    Because my wife rides a motorcycle herself, I only sometimes have my daughter with me as a passenger. We communicate verbally only when the machine is stationary. During the ride, we have established a few hand signals.
    Stop because of ... = hand with thumb down
    Is everything all right with you? = Thumbs up
    Everything else is secondary from my point of view.

On the subject of holding on, I also have a little story:
    On our first trip together, I told her that she always has to hold on to me. My challenge was then only that she almost "crushed" me and I nearly lost my breath, so tightly she held on to me.:rolleyes:

I do not think of the handles on the bike, because you can easily "lose" the pillion when accelerating hard! When holding on to the driver is then also when braking the forward movement of the pillion not so strong and the helmets also do not bump against each other.

If she does it like the woman in the photo, then you´ve a problem!

Sozius.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    First time I took my now wife on the back of my GSXR 1100 was an experience for her. She has a 38" inside leg so a Fixer isn't really a good fit. We were off to stay with mates in Newcastle, as I accelerated onto the motorway I noticed something passing my eyes, it was her boots! Fortunately I managed to push her legs back down onto the pegs so no disaster:grinning:
    After that she had full confidence in me as she was under the illusion I knew what I was doing :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  20. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    38"?!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2