Featured Rideout First Ride Up Mt. Lemmon Since January + First Time Up Since The Bighorn Fire

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Sandi T, Sep 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    This past Sunday a small group of us rode to breakfast then up Mt. Lemmon. It was my first ride up Mt. Lemmon since my January bicycle crash. I had driven my Mustang up Lemmon last spring before the Bighorn Fire devastated 120,000 acres of the mountain in June but hadn't been back up since then. Honestly, I was not that eager to see the fire damage on our beloved mountain. But we decided to take a ride to the top to see how things looked.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 5.56.07 PM.png

First things first. We decided to eat first then ride so we sat on the lovely outdoor patio at Poco & Mom's, a great place for New Mexico Mexican food which is somewhat different than Mexico Mexican food. Blue corn, lots of green chili, delicious!
    Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 10.31.50 PM.png

IMG_9912.jpeg

This is my breakfast. :) Three tamales--two were red chili & pork, the other green chili and chicken. The tamales were accompanied by scrambled eggs and calabacitas, a traditional Mexican mixed vegetable dish. Not pictured but (for me) an integral part of any New Mexican meal were blue corn tortillas. :yum
    IMG_9914.jpeg

This is the little group that made the trek all the way Ski Valley at the top of Mt. Lemmon. One guy turned around at Milepost 5 because he was tired of the traffic on the road on a Sunday. Mr. Sandi went home after breakfast to be with our boxer, Annie, who we are spending more time with due to her health problems. I love that man. :heart: This particular photo was taken at a campground a rest stop area called "Middle Bear" that is part of a larger area known as "Bear Canyon". It's a typical stopping point to layer up with warmer gear as the temperatures reliably start to drop. This is between Mileposts 11 and 12 and the altitude is nearing 7,000 feet.
    IMG_9920.jpeg

We arrived at Ski Valley at the top of Mt. Lemmon to find that many other folks had also decided to make the drive or ride up the mountain on this day also. The parking lot in which we usually park was totally full but on the other side of the road there were still spaces left.
    IMG_9959.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 10.33.53 PM.png

In the summer the chairlifts are open on the weekend for people to ride up and down the mountainside. We've rarely seen lines for this but today there were a lot of people taking advantage of this mountaintop activity.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.09.39 PM.png

A sign of the COVID times.....

IMG_9928.jpeg

Sandi T. and Speedy enjoying the nice cool temperatures up here. IMG_9925.jpeg

More pics to follow in my next post.....

• Like Like x 16
  2. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #2 Sandi T, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    We always call Tucson "a big small town" because you always run in to people you know whoever you go and people seem to be so interconnected even though the metro area is 1,000,00. I heard someone calling my name and, lo and behold, it was two good friends of our with another friend of theirs! They had just decided to take the convertible for a drive up the mountain. The driver, Alan, sometimes rides with our Sunday group. He had a Tiger 800 but traded it for a BMW 1250GS.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.18.23 PM.png

This black beast was parked in the same parking lot just down from our bikes. None of us was sure what it was, though. Do any of you know?? It was definitely eye candy! :heart_eyes:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.20.07 PM.png

This photo was taken last spring when I drove up here. It's not the exact same view as the next photo but shows how green it was. The photo that follows shows the massive fire damage to the hillside just to the north.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 10.36.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.30.12 PM.png

On the ride down Mt. Lemmon we usually stop at a lookout known as "Seven Cataracts" which is just above Milepost 9. It's a good spot to take in the views, chat a bit before the ride home, and unlayer the warm clothes we've added for the higher altitudes.
    IMG_9965.jpeg
    IMG_9966.jpeg

IMG_9999.jpeg

There were quite a few motorcycles on the mountain today. Here's a shot of a group going up as we were heading down.
    IMG_9977.jpeg

The temperature reading on Speedy up at Ski Valley indicated 66ºF as we prepared to ride down the mountain. This is what is was when I arrived home. :p And this is why our beloved Lemmon is so popular in the summer! ;):) It felt great to be back riding this awesome route. :blush: And I always appreciate how lucky I am that it's a mere 17 miles from my driveway!

IMG_0001.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.18.23 PM.png

Edit: Sorry for the repeat photo on that silver Beemer on this post. I was having technical difficulties there for a bit trying to attach photos at all.

• Like Like x 15
  3. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    It's always a pleasure to hear about your rides and see the fabulous pictures. Thanks, Sandi! :)

The black car looks like a Porsche 911 with a ridiculous body kit to me but I could be wrong.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    The black car looks like a Nissan Z to me, but I'm far from an expert.

Great photos and tasty-looking food.

Sadly, still no photographic evidence of a Beemer owner actually waving. :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Come to think of it, I've not seen a Beemer owner actually waving either, JtC! Rarely do I see a wave response when I pass BMW motorcyclists either lately. A couple of my ride buddies guessed the same as you on that black car. It had a sticker on it with "Gorilla Builds" or something like that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    There's no doubt it's a custom and like you said, it looks like a beast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #7 Sandi T, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    When we were hanging out at the overlook going down the mountain, that black car drove past us. It sounded like a beast, too!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #8 Sandi T, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Thanks, Bikerman. Wish you could come ride Lemmon with us sometime! You’re always welcome. :)It would be cool if you could see some of the places that I post pictures of in person! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Love ride outs with varied machinery and your pics capture that perfectly, trailies - HD. Brilliant.

And the fancy "brief" is a Toyota!

(Heavily modified GT86/BRZ/FRS...all the same)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Here‘s a pic of the standard version...
    0F174DE0-3F22-45A1-853E-84C727EBBEE6.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Great pic's as always @Sandi T. nice again to see some old places that mean a lot to me, time should heal the scars of the old fires let's hope so anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-54126762

Yes great pictures and write up Sandi, thank you. By way of showing that I am not completely averse to reading any worthwhile BBC reports, the attached is interesting, showing the massive effect fires in Siberia are having on the climate. Given that we have seen fires in the USA, Siberia, Portugal, Spain, Greece, UK and central Europe in the near past perhaps we can come to some sort of conclusion on what is causing it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Great to see that you have been able to get out on a bike trip. Great set of pictures as well :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Sandi, when I look at your pics, they always remember me of my time in the early 90ies in New Mexico...
    There is a certain feeling to every distinctive place, in this case the dry heat, the warm breeze, the smell of Mexican food, the adobe-style buildings and how they match with their surroundings and the taste of a cool beer, watching the sun finally set, promising a good night‘s sleep once the temperatures will have dropped.

It is such a long time ago for me, it surely feels like a weird dream. But yet, here you are, bringing back those cherished memories...

EAEC4071-FA7D-4BCF-A957-BDDBCEA73EEF.jpeg

My school in Las Cruces and the old Buick Riviera, I loved so much...:heart:

• Like Like x 11
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Don! I'm always glad to share photos that bring back some fond memories of Tucson for you. That even happens for me when I look back over old photos--and I live here! ;):joy:

Yes, nature will heal itself but I'm afraid that seeing the still nasty scars from the big Mt. Lemmon Summerhaven fire of 2003, I probably won't be around long enough to see Lemmon in it's former glory. :( That said, each year it will be more and more back to it's former beauty and majesty. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Wessa! :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for sharing the BBC report, Thripster. Yes, the massive fires across the globe are tragic and troubling. Our skies here in Tucson are still hazy and it's hard to believe that it's from the west coast fires which are more than a six hours' drive from us. Views from space show a massive cloud of smoke that stretches from the west coast all through the southwest and well into the Pacific Ocean. I've spoken with friends who have family and friends whose homes have been burned to the ground and others who are in an area that is not imminently threatened but can't even go out of their homes because the air quality is so hazardous. I don't believe in coincidence in really any area of life and no more so with the number and scope of the fires worldwide. And then theres the scope of their impact on the environment. :sob::sob::sob:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Fun photo of your car and school, Daniel! :) That Buick Riviera you had reminds me of the boat of a car I drove in college--a green Ford LTD with a black hardtop. I don't have any photos of that my car, though. Maybe that says how I felt about it?! ;):joy: It was a hand-me-down from my parents and the car I drove all through college. I suspect there was method to their madness. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I've always loved the body style of the Rivieras -all of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T / Steve.
    Well our favourite Girl must be getting back to full strength again. And it shows in the terrific write up we are used to and love. So well laid out and correct. Wish i had some of your talent. Glad aswel to see you out and about again.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1