First Ride. Choke Question

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Blayr Carver, Nov 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Blayr Carver

Blayr Carver Member

Nov 24, 2018
    SCOTLAND
    Hey all.

Not sure if in the right section but first post. I have had the Triumph America 2011 for a week. I went out for a 42 mile ride. And to be honest I sat at 60 to 70 mph the whole time. And it was brilliant. loved it.

But the choke was out at one the whole time. It would run ok when pushed in but when i stopped it would cut out. Now it was cold yesterday and the book says under 25°c the choke will need to be out by one till warmed up. But after 20 miles should it not be warmed up??

Once again sorry if in wrong area but wanted everones opinion

• Like Like x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A 2011 America is fuel injected so has no choke......

What are you referring to?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #3 Callumity, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Being unfair perhaps! The Efi Bonnies "choke" is really a manual Idle air control valve. Pretty unsophisticated but cheap! More expensive EFI are motorised ( a stepper) and controlled by the ECU to provide a steady idle.

its main purpose on the Bonnie is to provide an accurate amount of initial air for starting and a fast warm up idle.

All of which tells me your idle is set too low......too low to maintain tickover after 20 mins when it should be warm irrespective of the ambient temperature. It’s the knurled knob underside the LH throttle body.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Agree, the fast idle is there to increase tickover till warm. These bikes like to stall, or not pick up from low rev's. The speedmaster and America both seem to be set too low, bonnie's don't seem as bad.

Just turn the black knurled knob near the throttle bodies until it runs ok. If it starts to race when warm, just turn back. Happy medium is easy enough to find.

I had mine set quite fast for tickover, as I hated it trying to stall as you pulled away, even when warm.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Maybe a quirk of the 270 degree motor? My T100 likes idle at about 1050-1100 which is slightly above the handbook recommendation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Adjust your idle speed when engine is warm via the knurled knob as said above - see pic.
    Knob1.jpg
    Once you have it set up correctly - about 1050 to 1100 rpm is best, then for future starting, pull the "choke" knob out fully and start the bike. Give it a few seconds to settle down and then push it in to the second stop. Assuming you are kitted up apart from your gloves, leave it out until you have your gloves on then push in and off you go. You can start the bike then without it but don't touch the throttle or it will stall. :cool:

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blayr Carver

Blayr Carver Member

Nov 24, 2018
    SCOTLAND

Thanks very much for the pic. Really helps

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blayr Carver

Blayr Carver Member

Nov 24, 2018
    SCOTLAND
    Thanks everyone

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You are welcome. We are only here to rip the p***. It makes us inadequates feel better about ourselves........

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The assumption is confounded by poor starting which re-oils everything before fuel ignition occurs!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Mine won't start from cold without the choke thingy! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

My America wouldn't start after you had left it sat outside the cafe !!! Was a feckin twat for doing that. Having to pull out the fake chke to get it started again sometimes, was like starting an old 50/60's car, needing the bloody choke all the time.

But, it was the only downside to the bike, loved my America, would even consider another.

FFS, you boys are slipping. Post #14 and we're still on topic and not ripped the piss yet ??? WTF is going on:eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    We've mentioned "knobs" a few times though! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Just didn't want to scare all the new members off again!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Think of it as a filter, we can weed the normal one's out before they get in too deep. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    OK, I'll see if @Ron Ashurst, @joe mc donald fancy chipping in on this one them MrO!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Truthfully? Talking about choking anything with DD on the loose invites a decline in polite social intercourse.......

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I told you all!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

• Like Like x 3
  20. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    On start up pull it out to first click in warm weather and fully out in cold, then start up. Push it back in once the engine runs too fast, then ride off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1