First Oil Change

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Name, May 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Name, your new bike came with Castrol full synthetic oil right from the factory. So not sure why you are concerned. Most new cars and bikes today the same. Semi or full syn is per the owners manual will not hurt the bike or seize the engine. Not to worry. I have been riding for 40+ years and always have used full syn oil without issue.

2. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    It is interesting reading that Triumph now put full synthetic in at the factory. When did it change from mineral oil from the factory? According to the Triumph dealer mine had mineral oil from the factory, changed at 500 miles, I assumed they did that because there is very little time and use for the oil viscosity to degrade, so no need for synthetic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Don't agree with that at all. You need to let the engine bed in and it won't if you use fully synth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    I don't know what came in mine, but i swapped it at 80 miles so now it's conventional until i hit a 1000-1500

5. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    I think this is a valid concern, bit im curious as to what sort of additive might be expected? Im not a mechanic, but i can't imagine what that would be. As far as contaminated oil i think even 1500 miles is a very short interval and i have installed a k&n oil filter. Update as of today i feel the bike either through this method or just general miles or my imagination is gaining in throttle response. Scared myself a little yesterday

6. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    Wow, this is worrisome. My 2018 t120 is in an annoyingly tight spot so i thought the nut would be nice, but I'll be going a different brand at the next. Hopefully 2 years out from this i shouldn't be in danger, but never know. Thanks for the heads up! I actually had concerns right after i put it on about the nut hanging below clearance of everything else and just this type of thing happening

7. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    The unrecognized talent that's to be found within the posts on this site is astonishing!

9. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #29 Wire-Wheels, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    I've been building and working on engines most all my life (73+ yrs.). I have never heard or SEEN the need to change engine oil at 50 miles ! People tend to get stupid about oil changes. It becomes a religious ritual with them. I worked in a engine rebuild shop at one point in my career. We told them 500 miles. We used assembly lube putting engines together, so you had to wash all that stuff out. Also the rings would be well seated by then, and, we would recheck the valve clearances. But go by whatever the manufacturer recommends. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  10. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Jack Daniels???????:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Jack Daniels - Mmmmmmmmmmmm

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    My 2009 Triumph Bonneville America was run in by 'feel' when it was fully warmed up I gave it more and more throttle progressively, when the run in period was up I got the oil change. The engine was very "Tight" for first 5,000 -8000 klms. You can tell when you are approaching full run in - the throttle response and fuel economy are at peak. So it tool nearly 7,000 klms before I could even get close to the claimed mileage per gallon that Triumph stated ! I'm now Mid tour 6,000 plus klms from Northam WA to Darwin and return. Towing my camper trailer has really helped the engine clear out anything bad and it had "fully awakened" it goes harder now than it ever has ! Only took 122,000 klms to get there ...:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Yes agreed Biglad, but I thought it was just neck oil!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    To those following, I'm at about 630 miles now and break in seems to be coming along. My average miles per gallon and overall engine performance has steadily increased. Curious what anyone with the same bike gets for mpg? Initially mine was around 42 and has this increased to 44.8 mpg average. I ride fairly aggressively and have been primarily riding windy country roads with lots of acceleration and deceleration between curves.

20190607_162442.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Since I don't think any of us here are chemical engineers, our opinions really do not matter. Follow the manufacturer's giudelines. Of course you have to use what oil is available in your area that fits those guidelines. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Inquiring minds want to know ....J.D.

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Just Delicious !!

18. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I'm a bit old.and crusty for that one ! James Dean.? Too old 'n crusty for that one too. Just...J.D.

• Like Like x 1