First Mot Speed Triple Exhausts

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Andy Martin, Sep 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andy Martin

Andy Martin New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Bath
    Morning all,

Something that's doing me in!... On my 10501r I have a set of Sp Engineering slip ons, with no stamp on to say Not road Legal.
    First Mot coming up at a Dealers next week, do I play safe and put back on the Originals or leave the after market ones on..
    Some say must take off, others leave on. With the baffles in the sound is deep but not ear splitting on tick over..

Thanks for any advice as my mates are a bunch of time wasting tossers... Ha...

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    All depends on what the tester is like. Have you had an MOT from them before?
    In my experience, most testers will just give an advisory for a slightly noisy exhaust as long as it’s intact and not leaking. I’ve never had one fail for not being BS stamped but then again it’s been a while since I’ve had a race can on any of my bikes. : unamused:
    If it doesn’t say ‘Not Road legal’ then I’d be tempted to leave them on and try my luck.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Shouldn't be a problem if there is no mark on them saying "Not for road use", it'll be just like having the arrows, an approved accessory exhaust. Worst case as freck says would be an advisory.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    It can depend an awful lot on exactly who does the actual test. I've had my wife's bike (a standard, 2009 Street Triple) tested a number of times with Triumph TOR cans on and it's always passed though I did, after the first time, put tape over the "Not for road use" engraving on the inside of the cans - more for his (the tester's) sake than mine.

I agree with others who have said that if there's no mark restricting use, there should be no problem ........ unless they are VERY NOISY! ;)

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I'd play it safe and put the originals back on..... only because i like messing around with my bikes, plus i dont want advisories on my mot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    There are various Sound Meter apps for phones (not sure how accurate they are), so if you're really paranoid about your exhaust then it might confirm or not if your worries are justified.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I have lazer cans on mine, and in my mind they are pretty loud, though BS rated.

Took it for Mot this year and the tester watched me come in... I thought 'Aye aye, ere we go'.... Passed without any advisories.

I did ask about the exhaust note, and he said that 'its at the testers discretion' . Then he kind of looked at me under his eyebrows and said "Couldn't fail or advise for it anyway. Its quieter than mine....."

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2