Featured Rideout First Group Ride In Months! I "rode" My Mustang.

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Sandi T, Jun 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I did my first group motorcycle ride in five months yesterday morning--in my Ford Mustang! Mr. Sandi had organized a small group ride up Mt. Lemmon and suggested that I "ride" along in my car. Of course I said YEEESSSS! :grinning::cool: Even though I was in a car and not on one of my bikes, it's not just "any" car as some of you know. ;) Plus I followed the group and sort of felt like I was part of the moto pack. It is as close as I've come to doing a group ride since my bicycle crash back in January. :blush:

IMG_8572.jpeg

The sun was shining, the sky was a rich deep blue and, being mid-week, traffic on the mountain was light. And although the temperatures on the desert floor were rather toasty (understatement), at the top of the mountain they were in the mid-70ºsF. We enjoyed the sound of the wind in the trees, the magnificent vistas, and some socially distanced conversation. :) There were five motorcycles in the group--one BMW, two Harleys, and two Triumphs. One of the Triumphs included my Speed Triple ridden by Mr. Sandi. The other Triumph was a 2008 Thruxton. Mr. Sandi loves my Speedy and raves about how fun it is to ride. But (fortunately for me) not enough that he wants to ride it ALL the time! The ergos are a little tight for him and he said his wrists start to hurt rather quickly. In spite of that, I've been trying to convince him to get his own Speed Triple for short jaunts now that there's an empty space in our garage. I commented how cool it would be if we both had H-D Street Glides and we both had Triumph Speed Triples. He's not having it. Truthfully I suspect he thinks that would be too "matchy-matchy". ;):joy:

IMG_8570.jpeg

Mt. Lemmon is at the eastern end the Santa Catalinas, of one of Tucson's four mountain ranges. At the base--literally Milepost 0--the altitude is 2500 feet. The parking lot where we parked is at about 9000 feet. The road from bottom to top is 25 miles of smooth, wide, and glorious pavement and you pass through five biological life zones on the trip. Lemmon is a true desert gem.

Here's a photo of our group on the way up the mountain nearing the summit. Yes, I took the riding photos in this thread while driving. :eek: I'll excuse that by saying that I know this road like the back of my hand so knew good places to snap photos. I know--a rather weak argument. :rolleyes: But I will estimate that between cycling and motorcycling (and the rare car drive), I've been up Mt. Lemmon well over 1,000 times.

IMG_8562.jpeg

We were hoping that the Iron Door restaurant across from Sky Valley would be open this morning as they have a big patio where we'd have been able to spread out and have a cup of coffee. But, alas, it was closed. That didn't lessen the sheer enjoyment of finally being in a beautiful place with good friends again even under quite different circumstances and restraints than when last we were together. So we just hung out in the parking lot for about a half an hour or so soaking in the comaraderie along with the cool fresh air and the mountain's sounds, scents, and views.

IMG_8585.jpeg

IMG_8578.jpeg

IMG_8587.jpeg

Here are some photos on the trip down that illustrate some of the five life zones found on "Catalina Highway", the 25 mile road up Mt. Lemmon. The first photo with the Geology Vista sign is at Milepost 16. Those wild rock formations are called HooDoos. Mt. Lemmon is not only known far and wide by cyclists and bikers but also by rock climbers.

IMG_8604.jpeg

IMG_8618.jpeg

The sign off to the left in this photo says "Leaving Coronado National Forest". The Tucson area is blessed with many national parks, forests, and monuments most all of which are readily accessible by motorcycles. :grinning::heart:

IMG_8619.jpeg

• Like Like x 26
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Amazing pictures wow I'm lost for words Sandi :cool::cool: Bike or not what a ride out that must have been, you's guys and gal's are so damn lucky. just take it easy and dont be to quick to get back on the bike saddle until your completely ready. thanks for sharing :cool::heart:

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Meanwhile back on the desert floor....

IMG_8628.jpeg

Several in the group decided to go to a breakfast spot that has outdoor seating. I elected to drive home to make sure that Annie the Boxer was doing ok. This morning was the longest that she'd been without Mr. Sandi and me since the pandemic lock-downs began. Note: Annie was fine and told me it's the first time she'd been able to nap uninterrupted in way too long.

As measured by my Mustang, we went from those nice mid-70ºs temps at the top of Lemmon back to substantially hotter temps. It's always quite jarring to descend from the summit of Lemmon in the summertime. The true waves of heat seem to consistently hit with a vengeance right about five miles from the base. From the base of Mt. Lemmon back to our garage 17 miles. I guess the silver lining in driving my Mustang and not riding a motorcycle is that I had my AC system cranking away and only really knew it was hot because my car told me so.

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.46.38 PM.png

Ouch!! Wow, I am VERY glad that my car is such a blast to drive! And that--at least for the time being--that gas is cheap. Ok, I admit that there's a slight possibility that this mpg reading may be related to how I was driving. But I'd rather blame the heat and altitude and....:rolleyes: Whatever the reason for this atrocious gas mileage, IT WAS WORTH IT! :D Besides, my bikes get such great mileage that it all balances out...right?? ;)

IMG_8631.jpeg

IMG_8631.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 5
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #4 Sandi T, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Thanks, @TEZ 217! We are lucky and I know it full well. It was a glorious rideout and, you know, I appreciate all of it--the friends, the mountain, the car/bikes, my health and strong(er) body--all the more these days for so many reasons. I never want to take any of these things for granted again.

I appreciate your sentiments on not being too quick to get back on the bike. :kissing_heart: Some folks push and, believe me, none of them wants me back riding more than I do! But I couldn't bear to go backwards so will continue to (try) to be patient.:blush: In the meantime I can drive my Mustang to get my "fix"! :cool:

• Like Like x 7
  5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    [​IMG]

Exactly EEEK !!!! ALL THAT PLUS GREAT TASTE IN MUSIC :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Brilliant write up Sandi :cool:
    Looks like you had a great day :)
    Thanks for posting :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Simply wonderful photos Sandi. You are so lucky having such beautiful roads and nature so close to home. Over here in the Netherlands you’d have to be mega rich to buy and run a 5 litre Mustang. So enjoy !
    The 2.3 litre version costs 76000 Euros and the 5 litre Costs 113000 Euros (128500 US Dollars).
    keep your trip photos coming. We all love to see them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Great write up - beautiful car and superb scenery. Thanks for posting

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Love it Sandi :cool:, thanks for sharing the story & the photos :), you are very lucky to have the weather & the mountain to enjoy :sun:, and if you can't ride your bike at least you got your Mustang to play with :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    13.3 lol. reminds me of some of the American muscle cars i had back in the 70's.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Brilliant writing, as always Sandi T;
    Surely can’t be comfortable when riding bikes in those temps. with ‘Proper’ gear on?
    I like the attire of the Harley rider for warm days, though his pants are way too long for my liking.
    Lot of envy about from me.
    Ken.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    You have to measure a car like that in smiles per gallon!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Ditto all above, looks like you had a great day.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "Four wheels good, two wheels better".....I like that, Smilinjack! For me I might edit it just a bit to read "Four wheels on a Mustang great, two wheels on a motorcycle (vs. a blasted bicycle) best!" ;):)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Dilli! Yes, it was a great day. :) It just felt so darned good to get out again and do something that felt quite normal. Even better than normal since it wasn't a work day and I wasn't cleaning the house. ;) It was funny, though....all the rest of the day felt like a Sunday to me as our usual group rides are always on a Sunday morning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Nikki! Yes, I do know how very lucky we are to have such terrific roads and nature right in our back yard. For those who ride dirt bikes ADV bikes it's doubly nice because there's a road on the back side of Mt. Lemmon, too, that is dirt/gravel. People in Jeeps also like that road and there are plenty of other off road areas in southern Arizona too.

Holy moly! I can't believe that a 5 liter Mustang goes for $128,500 in the Netherlands! :p I certainly wouldn't have been driving mine up Mt. Lemmon a couple of days ago if that were the case in the U.S.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, Billy, I am very glad that I can drive the Mustang. It does take a bit of the sting out of not yet being able to ride. Plus that AC system is nice to have this time of the year. Summer in the desert isn't the most enjoyable riding weather so by the time I can ride the temps may be starting to cool down a bit. I have to say that the stereo system in my car is quite a nice feature, too. :) And I don't have to wear a helmet while driving...another plus. ;)

image.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    At least gas was a "little" cheaper back then. Your post got me to wondering how much gas was back in the mi-70s so I did a bit of checking. Wow, I could drive my gas guzzling Bullit for a song at these prices! Even the inflation adjustment cost isn't horrible compared to some prices we've seen in the past few years.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.03.31 AM.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #19 Sandi T, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Thanks, Ken! Our Harley rider buddies that were on this ride always make me a bit nervous with their lack of riding gear. Over the years as a bicycle racer, I saw too many cyclists go down and incur horrible road rash.

Actually we've figured out a few ways to deal with the heat while still wearing proper riding gear. One of the keys is to use a cooling vest under a mesh riding jacket. You soak the vest for a few minutes then squeeze it out. When you're moving it's like what we here in the desert call a "swamp cooler" which some use to cool their homes. Air flows over the vest and creates a cooling effect. It works quite well other than at stop lights in the city. The vests stay damp enough to be effective for about an hour or so by which point we're usually ready to stop for some water and a bit of a stretch break anyway. Haven't found a great solution for the bottom half, though. I don't think I'd like to try the same method with my underwear. Although when it's that hot it sort of naturally works out that way anyway. ;):joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, I agree, OsteKuste. "SPG" And in that case I'm getting the best gas mileage I've gotten from any car I've ever owned! :grinning::grinning::grinning::heart:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1