First Ever New Season Start.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Marcin, Jun 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Marcin

Marcin New Member

Apr 3, 2018
    London
    Hello everyone.

Before I post my questions, please forgive me if they might be stupid.
    Motorbike maintenance is very new for me, so I might be somewhat naive.
    :D

Winter passed and my time away from my bike getting to an end too.
    It's been stored in the garage, of the ground, tank filled up, battery out and conditioned, and some rust protection on all the elements applied.
    Soon I'd like to get on my bike - Thunderbird Storm, and I've been reading how to prepare the bike after the winter, it's been around 6 months I haven't touched it.
    I have read that I should:
    • change the oil and the filter
    • change the fuel
    • spin the engine with spark plugs out (using the back wheel)
    • and unlock the clutch by moving bike around on the gear with clutch pulled in
    Now, as much as I want and am keen to do all that I have few questions, because my first trip will be to a garage to get the MOT done, and the garage always change the oil and the filter during the MOT checks.

So my questions are:
    1. Do I need to change the oil and filter before I ride, and if so could someone explain to me, why?
    2. When I spin the engine (the back wheel method) - is this with the old or the new oil in?
    3. If it comes to change the filter - which one would you recommend? (I read some post about issues with K&N filters)
    4. Do I need to change the fuel?
    I am ready to get some laughs but also very interested to hear from anyone some advice.
    I can't wait till I'm back on the bike but want to do it properly.

Cheers all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    just start and ride the fucking thing lol:)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed, if starts go ride it..... then put in for a service and MOT.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Marcin.
    Welcome to the Family. And there is never a stupid question when its your pride and joy. And an expensive bit of kit like your bike.. No I really don't think you need to go to all that effort. If you are taking your plugs out put a half a cap of the same oil 10/40 down each hole stick it in top gear spin the wheel or push it a few feet. How far is your mot station and when was the oil last changed. If only a year ago no problem. In reality when storing a bike. You should get out on a good day and give it a run. Other thing you need to check is tyre pressure do look for flat spots especially if It has sat on hard ground. Test those brakes. And when you get a clear bit of road gently jab them and I mean gently just to sharpen them up.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4