Featured First Drop !!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Jewksey, Mar 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oh my goodness, Trippy. I can just picture that scene from your description. Good for you for sharing your "incident" with a fellow forum member. Well, with many forum members! :joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vectis John

Vectis John Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    I have Matte black on my Bonneville. It looks great in the show room but it is in reality a pain in the backside. When the bike is clean it looks good but within a few minutes it’s showing marks, wether it is finger prints, water stains or rub marks from clothing.
    To me it is also less resistant to scratches, the paint seems softer. I don’t know is this true or my imagination. Within a few days I managed to scratch my tank with a bit of grit caught in the cloth. Whilst you can polish out a scratch on gloss you can’t on matte, because you end up polishing the paint and loosing the matte finish.
    Looks great but I wouldn’t have it again.
    If you really want matte perhaps a wrap?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alectron

Alectron Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Shame about dropping your bike like that but it happens man!
    Dropped my very heavy (for me) T Explorer especially fully loaded while on holiday, more than a couple of times. Pillion didn't appreciate it either!
    Sold it and got the lovely Bonnie T120 instead. Been all over Britain on it but love Scotland in particular.
    Oh and keep the same paint, it looks great.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    ^This
    OP sorry about your drop - that sucks. I bought a used bike for that very reason, but I baby the crap out of mine and now would be equally crushed if that happened to me. I would skip matte on a respray. Scuff it, it turns shiny. Cannot use most detail polish products to restore. Cannot wax it. Tree sap, road tar, rock chips, chemical shadows, etc will make it look like shite.

Can you just source a new (or better used) OEM tank? Most of that stuff is usually pre-painted at factory and might be priced close to spray job labor+product. Factory baked-on finished are always superior to secondary market spray jobs in most cases long term. Just an option to explore perhaps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Boscastle, Cornwall
    Always go with what makes you happy as you are the one who has to live with your decision. Green does look nice though :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jewksey

Jewksey Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    Hi everyone thanks for all the info ..

so in the current climate I’ve decided as I have plenty of time to attack the dent and paint my self (I have got some experience) and worst case If I nightmare some one from my work can sort later (I work in motor industry) if goes terribly and I’m kinda settled on the green but would like it in more of a satin like the picture and I was wondered as there are no triumph dealers open if anyone happened to know the paint code for the green ( I thought it was used on a 2010 scrambler but I may be talking g sh**

any advice would be greatly appreciated as I’d like to order the paint and of course I’ll update with pics when done (good or bad)

thanks in advance

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    Hi everyone thanks for all the info ..

so in the current climate I’ve decided as I have plenty of time to attack the dent and paint my self (I have got some experience) and worst case If I nightmare some one from my work can sort later (I work in motor industry) if goes terribly and I’m kinda settled on the green but would like it in more of a satin like the picture and I was wondered as there are no triumph dealers open if anyone happened to know the paint code for the green ( I thought it was used on a 2010 scrambler but I may be talking g sh**

any advice would be greatly appreciated as I’d like to order the paint and of course I’ll update with pics when done (good or bad)

thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    Hi everyone just thought I’d update re the dropped bike situation

with the covid situation I decided to have a go at painting it myself like I mentioned and at last min decided it should be satin black and I contact local paint supplier and got the paint made up and put into rattle cans as I dont have a compressor and i usually work in a office and it is a shed/garden paint job plus I needed to make a pulled to fix dent with some hot glue and few bits of wood and few bolts plus finished with glass fiver and in my option it’s turned out pretty well .. had to wait on badges which arrived this morning so here a few pics

sorry about crappy pics but had to take them in garden for obvious reasons

D59F3A00-E40C-4693-BC15-094C4FA19C61.jpeg

2DA49A20-DD5A-4F0F-AEE3-51116AC21B9D.jpeg

EA017F55-746C-4E13-88FF-2399924EB9D4.jpeg

EF52124C-B28E-4A9A-AFB7-9F5AA156226B.jpeg

4DB9ADEA-4C7F-463F-9440-F9FBA7B6EDE3.jpeg

263753EB-E4EB-4F99-9C18-0A4A23A5A288.jpeg

EEA2A6F2-0C48-46F5-A25F-9BE2C84188F7.jpeg

AAEE0784-B283-4F13-A31B-21226ED7086D.jpeg

DE67B878-EA44-4946-AC11-65E6B9D85497.jpeg

0C1DDFBC-76B5-46E5-A3F2-FAEFA63C0BE8.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Excellent job mate :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    Thank you buddy

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Looks great mate, I'd lose those 1050 stickers tho, they cheapen your job IMO.

12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    A very good effort mate, looks the dog's bollox.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    thank you mate tbh I went with the 1050 sticker for contrast on the satin paint

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    Thank you

15. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    Thank you

16. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    Thank you I appreciate it .. I’ve not heard of that is it like a coating (don’t do this kinda of stuff usually) lol sorry

Would like to finish it seal it or something I have some muck off paint protector but not sure how it will react with satin paint lol

17. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire
    great stuff thank you mate ended up being dirt cheap as I’ve done it my self so can’t be upset at spending few quid on that lol

thank you I’ll get some on order

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Very nicely done!
    Ken.

19. Jewksey

Dec 10, 2019
    Northampton-shire