First Bike Rebuild

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Jim Hargreaves, Sep 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Hargreaves

Jim Hargreaves Well-Known Member

Hi Joe
    Thanks for the reply and your absolutely right I haven’t started yet because I’m working away but the fear of starting is building just by trawling through posts and trying to find out the info I think I need. I’m pretty sure everything but the engine I can tackle that’s scares the living daylights out of me ha ha. I’m already scared about the first time I kick it off and I haven’t even started to dismantle her yet
    I’m just pleased I’ve found this forum it seems packed with people who will be as enthusiastic about getting my bike done as I am. cant wait to start keeping everyone posted
    Cheers Jim

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jim Hargreaves

Ha ha thanks for the advice I think I’m going to enjoy it on here

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chahpit1

Chahpit1 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Asheville, NC USA
    Welcome Jim. I've been doing this for a living for more than 40 years and the best advice on the first big build is to write down (or record) your start and finish points at the end of each days work. Example would be "fitted timing cover, bolts only finger tight". Next time you are working on the bike you should reference that note before you start on another chore. This also comes in handy when you are getting old and forgetful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Jim Hargreaves

I’ll take note of that thanks for the advice
    Can I just pick your brain quickly I’m going to do a fill rebuild on the engine where can I find out info to tell if a part is worn out or not. I’m really new to engine rebuilds so to be honest unless it drops to bits in my h

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jim Hargreaves

Don’t know what happened there it only posted half my reply I was saying

hand I don’t think I will know if the part is worn out or not sorry for sounding so wet behind the ears but you’ve got to start somewhere

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chahpit1

Chahpit1 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Asheville, NC USA
    Some parts will show signs of wear as external discoloration or abrasion, others may have minimum and maximum measurements that must be in range to fit other parts. Any part with these issues I would replace simply because the first time you are broken down on the side of the road, you will tell yourself "I knew I should have replaced...". Another thing to research is the possibility of a newer design of a worn part actually being better than the original design. Not original per se but still Triumph.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sullivs

Sullivs Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Weldon Spring, Missouri, USA
    Welcome Jim!
    The bike you purchased is a great one for resto. Not only is it a good machine, but you can find a LOT of parts and advice on it.

Is the bike complete enough to get it running now? One thought, and something I've learned the hard way, is to get it running first... then tear it down and restore it to the condition you want. That way you know it runs and you won't be scratching or damaging fresh paint while you are taking things off and on while trying to get it running.

Just a thought for consideration. Either way, you will have a good time working on the bike and learning as you go. Here is a photo of a '79 that I restored recently.

Bonneville.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  8. Martin Wedgwood

Sep 8, 2020
    leek
    Hughie Hancocks has done a DVD on rebuilding a bonnie engine and gearbox I found it invaluable when I rebilt my 1967 T120R a couple of years ago. I recommend you get a copy if you can also check out the LUMAD videos on YouTube he is also very good.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jim Hargreaves

Thanks for the info I’ll check them out

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jim Hargreaves

Thanks for the tips by the way that looks a beauty

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Jim and welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome to a terrific forum, Jim! As you can clearly already see, you're in good hands with folks here.:) Please keep us posted with words and pics on your build progress!

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.30.10 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jim Hargreaves

Thanks for the welcome. I’m currently working in Belgium but when I get back I’ll post some pics of the bike before I start and and as I go along. I’ve had a great reception on here and can’t wait to get started

• Like Like x 3
  14. Jim Hargreaves

Final piece of the jigsaw off the crank shaft pinion save myself £60 I made my own pinion puller out of what I had laying around a bit of hole sawing and a bit of welding and it’s off. I can split the crank cases now.
    upload_2021-1-3_11-51-27.jpeg

upload_2021-1-3_11-52-27.jpeg

upload_2021-1-3_11-53-28.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jim Hargreaves

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jim Hargreaves

I’ve finally removed the crankshaft pinion. I was trying to borrow one of the removal tools to save me £60 for one go but in the end I made my own, a bit of scrap a couple of hole saws and a bit of welding and the jobs done. I can split the crank case now

upload_2021-1-3_18-12-57.jpeg

upload_2021-1-3_18-13-43.jpeg

upload_2021-1-3_18-14-39.jpeg

upload_2021-1-3_18-15-39.jpeg

• Like Like x 1