Featured First Bike, First Love - The Triumph Thruxton 900 Efi Journey

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Mototherapy, Mar 14, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mototherapy

Mototherapy Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2020
    Austria
    Good evening everyone,

i am the proud owner of a Triumph Thruxton 900 for some years now, which also happens to be my very first bike. It was love on the first sight and i still enjoy this bike to the fullest.
    With absolutely no experience in working on motorcycles and no idea about all the different tools i thought about changing some parts myself and so the journey began.
    With the help of the internet and lot different people a hobby became a passion for life and fell in love again, but this time in working on my bike. :)

During the last years, i tried out many things and made a ton of pictures (especially at the beginning, because i was so proud about every single change i made myself). Don't worry, i won't post them all (would take way too much time ;) )

So here is a picture of when i bought her:
    [​IMG]

And some pictures of a recent ride
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although i really like the current look, i am still not satisfied and therefore decided to try out something completly new. Today i ordered this aluminium fairing from "Omegaracer"https://www.omegaracer.com/parts_store/prod_6318409-Triumph-Aluminium-Fairing-Thruxton.html and adjustable clip ons from abm. (good bye my saved money) I want to create a more classic racer looking bike, with the original phantom black paint and polished aluminium fairing. Pretty sure this will look quite nice :)

So, yeah. Now all i can do is wait for the parts, which is without a doubt god damn hard. Well, i will let you know when everything is installed and i am looking forward to your opinion

Cheers and have a nice sunday evening

PS: Please excuse my english. I from Austria and although i understand everything, writing in english is not one my strenghts ;)

• Like Like x 12
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Mototherapy.
    Welcome to the family. Great intro and smart looking steed there. You just keep on with the picture and stories. We are going no where so are all ears. The steed will go down well here in the asylum as black is one of the favourite colours.
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Welcome Mototherapy. Lovely bike and don't worry about your English writing, it is far better than most people on here:grinning:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum :cool:
    Great looking bike.
    Looking forward to seeing your improvements in the near future!

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Greetings, Mototherapy, and welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your story about not only loving to ride but now also loving to work on your bike. Perhaps you'll be a good influence on me for the latter activity. ;):joy: Love the photos! Please continue to share with us about your work on your beautiful bike. What year is it, by the way? My first Triumph was a black Thruxton 900 and, although I no longer that bike, I still love them! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Welcome, and great looking bike! As we all can attest, they are never really finished. That is part of the joy most of us here get from our bikes, making them our own. Thank you for sharing your journey.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Sweet ride, cous'. Good on ya!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mototherapy

Sep 21, 2020
    Austria
    #8 Mototherapy, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Thank you so much for your kind replies. Very much appreciated!
    The Thruxton is from 2013 and therefore a fuel injected version. :) Over the years i tried out many different styles until i finally made the decision to go for a real classic looking bike.
    Here a version with clip ons. Best looking, but also a huge burden on my back...
    [​IMG]

And here a version with a high handlebar...more comfortable, but it just did not suit the character of the Thruxton
    [​IMG]

Then i went for a clubman handlebar upside down. Wider than original and way better for the back. At this time, i also had led turn signals. Looking good, really bright...But they also had to go :)
    [​IMG]

Too be honest, i thought about selling the Thrux a lot of times for several reasons over the years. One is because I got really interested in the new Bonnis (or the old ones from 1968), the other because of my back.
    But in the end, i just could not do it. It's my first bike, got me through tough times and has its own history by now :) So one thing is for sure. This black beauty stays with me until the bitter end

• Like Like x 5
  9. Mototherapy

Sep 21, 2020
    Austria
    First step on my way to achieve the much longed for classic racer biker look.
    The handlebar (Clip ons from ABM) had arrived this week and i managed to mount them yesterday. Still waiting for the triple tree from the carb. Thruxton and the fairing of course. The fender is also under construction cause of a broken plate holder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately the inner diameter of the clip ons is way smaller than usuall and now, my bar end mirror won't fit of course. That is a little bit annoying too be honest.

Cheers from Austria

• Like Like x 7
  10. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Welcome mate. I am looking to sell my 900 Thruxty, as it doesn't get used as much as my other bikes and I fancy getting a 1200, but then I ride it again and I wonder why the hell do I want to sell it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mototherapy

Sep 21, 2020
    Austria
    Feel you Johne. Been there and had the exact same thoughts, although i was looking at a new Bonnie T120 at that time.
    Here is short update of the current built by the way:
    The fairing and bar end mirror from Motogadget are still on their way, but i got the powder coated triple tree from the carb Version back and also finished the rear part. New painted fender combined with a "Lucas" tail light and the Blaze Pins from Motogadget. I also installed them in the front for the moment.
    Hope you like the view so far:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mototherapy

Sep 21, 2020
    Austria
    Finally the fairing arrived. Here are the most recent pictures and i hope you enjoy the view as much as i do :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. Mototherapy

Sep 21, 2020
    Austria
    Aaaaaand the fairing is gone. The burden on my back was too much and long story short, i went back to a different handlebar, LSL mirrors and bar end turn signals from Motogadget. Feels better and to be honest...looks better :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers and stay healthy

• Like Like x 4
  15. Mototherapy

Sep 21, 2020
    Austria
    After dealing with constant back pain for some time, i decided to make a few changes regarding the riding position. I wanted to make the Thruxton more back friendly in order to make longer trips.
    So i installed a superbike handlebar and LSL foot pegs (supposed to be more knee friendly). The first ride was ok i guess. Way better for the back, but not that great for the knees. Well, maybe my body needs to get used to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Mototherapy
    Well you did enhance that beastie. I love the chrome fairing then I just love chrome. Glad you now love the bike and thanks for the stunning photo's. Yes bike and scenery are stunning.
    Joe.

17. Mototherapy

Sep 21, 2020
    Austria
    Man, it's been quite some since my last post...I still own the Thruxton and tried out even more things, all because of my damn back.
    I got the forks from a Scrambler 900, Foot pegs (and plate of course) from a Bonni and a nice Fehling cross handlebar. The current seat is again, from a Scrambler 900. Guess the direction is the right one as i enjoy the bike even more now. My goal is something between a classic Desert Sled built or a Street Scrambler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course the bike is not finished yet and never will be

• Like Like x 7
  18. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    I have always loved the look of a bikini fairing on a bike, I think they are the icing on the cake. Pretty sure I first saw them used on a Norton at Brands, possibly a Dunstall machine. My youngest son has a 2012 model. So easy to ride but the one thing I find strange is the amount of effort it takes to lift it off of the prop stand.