first 500 mile service

Discussion in 'Dealers & Workshop Reviews' started by wombal, Jun 27, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Just going by what has been posted on the forum Rich.
    I've never used the dealers yet, so cannot comment from personal experience.

2. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    The law changed some years back, you do not have to take a vehicle back to a supplying dealer during its warranty period, as long as you have your book stamped any dealer/garage can do it, and any subsequent servicing, its up to you how much you trust another or the original dealer.
    Legally it will not affect your warranty as long if its carried out by a recognized competent organization and you get your book stamped, not some Joe Bloggs working out of a back garden shed, if you have faith in him he can do work after the warranty runs out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. dc42

dc42 New Member

Mar 3, 2021
    AkNZ
    Have serviced my own bikes for 35 years, just bought an XE and it's all computer diagnostics to service. Feeling a disassociation coming on. Nice bike though.

4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Wow this thread was last updated 4 years ago.

Anyway it is a good reminder to negotiate your first service for free when buying your new bike. And as has been mentioned you can also negotiate getting your accessories fitted for free as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    It is not correct to say your warranty will be void if you use a non Triumph Dealership, you can complete the service yourself if you wan to, what you have to do is use genuine Triumph parts and the recommended oil, you need to keep the receipts safe if you ever require warranty work. You can use an independent garage if you so wish, again genuine parts need to be used. The only issue you will have is deleting the service light (unless you or your chosen garage has the dealer tool software on your laptop/Pad. I have previously written a lengthy post on this subject, it came about due to an EU directive effectively stopping the monopoly of dealerships and customer rights of choice on servicing, this has not been rescinded even though the UK has left the EU. Usually you only get charged for the parts at the first service. You should always negotiate the service costs and accessories when looking to buy a machine, often you can get items thrown in or fitted at a nominal cost.

• Like Like x 1
  6. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #26 brown mouse, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    I heard as part of a 44teeth interview with a motorcycle lawyer that's a common misconception, and that the agreement about non dealer work not affecting warranties only applies to cars.

Edit: Triumph's online terms also state bikes must be dealer serviced.

I don't profess to know the truth, just pointing out that 'the internet' has differing opinions on the matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Not sure I'd want to buy a bike that had been serviced by the owner from new rather than the main dealer. :D
    You're paying at least £13000 upwards for many bikes - I don't understand why some people whinge at the service costs and then try and save a few quid by changing the oil themselves.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Dealer service in the warranty period then home service or independent tech after that.

Disadvantage these days are software updates that are dealer only though I suppose once a year that wouldn’t break the bank.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Yes I agree, the EU directive regarding non dealer service work not voiding warranty terms applies to cars NOT motorcycles.
    If you want to maintain the warranty get your bike dealer serviced and the book stamped!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi all
    The information I gave is completely correct from first hand experience, servicing a motorcycle yourself WILL NOT invalidate the warranty, Just to be absolutely clear I have had a conversation regarding this matter with the following dealers, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki, all confirm doing so will not invalidate the warranty. There are positive reasons to have you motorcycle dealer serviced, or an independent workshop, however the post was about "home servicing and the warranty", on that basis the reply is short. Handbooks and manufacturers websites may say "dealer service only", but that does and will not affect your warranty if you self service your motorcycle. There are some caveats to self servicing and any warranty claims you may make, these are briefly outlined in my previous post (genuine parts and recommended oil). Also you need to have the mechanical expertise/knowledge when home servicing, especially when completing the valve clearance check, excellent details should be kept. One of the dealers I spoke to runs there own BSB Team and stated "the warranty will not be invalidated". Ride safe all.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #31 Iceman, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    When I mentioned from personal experience it was just that, I serviced one of my RSs myself, the (second service) and 12 months left of manufacturers warranty, it went in for warranty work and this was completed no problem at all, and that was not down to the dealer goodwill but manufacturers responsibilities. I mentioned the caveat, it is that the work must be carried out by a competent person, well what constitutes a "competent person", if that question was raised with me personally then I could produce my professional qualifications as a mechanic, albeit some years ago, I left the trade went back to University gained new qualifications and entered a new career in the CJS, and remained in my professional role for the next 3 decades, in that time a plethora of Legal Documents came across my desk Criminal and Civil. Like many of us on the forum we spend a lot on our machines, however it is an individual choice in how we have our machines serviced. I have myself bought 3 new bikes in the last 18 months. Whatever we have in life does not mean you have to have the item serviced by the manufacturers dealer network, look around your house and say your central heating boiler needs a service or warranty work do you call in the makers supplying dealer, or get a Gas Safe independent approved engineer, it's like many goods and motorcycles are no exception to a person having freedom of choice, that choice does not negate a warranty. What may not be widely known however is if a person services/repairs their own car/motorcycle and the vehicle was involved in a RTC, and it was found the service or repair was the cause or a contributing factor then the owner could face legal action, Criminal or Civil or both, it does get complex. I am not trying to sound clever here far from it, however a lot of misinformation is out there. Ride safe all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1