Filtering Law

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by brybrem, Jun 4, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    • Like Like x 1
  2. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Guys, if you are approaching traffic jams, stationary or slow moving traffic then please dont get irate & make sure you filter through the traffic slowly & cautiously, chances are its me at the front.... Just saying x :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Explorer

Explorer Member

May 31, 2013
    That's great news, I'm always wary when filtering in case someone pulls out whilst using their mobile and finishing off eating their breakfast ! I find young women the worse always changing lanes to gain an extra few feet.

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Best not to follow this fellow's example of filtering

• Like Like x 1
  5. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
  6. Kradser

Kradser Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Esbjerg Denmark
    WOW! Long time since I saw anybody as nuts as that....

7. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    I had a bit of an email conversation with a copper about bikes filtering in bus lanes, apparently its down to each local authority to make the decision, some major citys actually encourage it.

Anyway this is what he said

Jon,
    I am not familiar with the exact location, but my advice would be not to ride in the bus lane. Should you be involved in any collision, you could be deemed to be at fault in that another motorist would not expect a motorcycle to be in that lane..
    If you need any further advice, please get back in touch with me direct.
    Alun

Anyway this didn't really answer my question so I wrote back

Hi Alun,
    Thank you for getting back to me, I have looked into it a bit further and as far as I can see its legal (or at least not illegal and prosecutable) to do but as you mentioned not recommended (perhaps you could confirm this?).
    I do think you make a good point with not looking for a bike.
    Jon

And his reply

Jon,
    I see bus lanes being for buses, not for any other traffic. As well as cars not expecting a bike to be in the bus lane and knocking you off, there is the issue of pedestrians not expecting you. If a motorcyclist were to collide with a pedestrian in the bus lane, I would think we could be investigating the offence of careless driving.
    Regardless of the legalities Jon, I would say don’t do it. I ride a motorbike myself, and wouldn't ride in a bus lane.
    Keep safe !
    Hope this helps.
    Alun

Again doesn't really answer my question, I wasn't emailing my mum asking if she thought it was safe I wanted to know if it was illegal hence the email to the police! He doesn't actually say its prosecutable apart from if you had an accident. Anyway make of it what you will.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    In London you can use the bus lanes... I would also point out for another motorist or person to collide with you they would also have to be in the bus lane.
    I don't think the excuse I was not expecting your be there will hold up in court.. (But what do I know.....)
    But filtering is not really bus lanes it's the white chevrons areas In between traffic islands...
    I spoke to a copper once and he said in London some police call them bike lanes....
    I suppose it all depends where you are riding.. In Wales it's a lot quiter than the main towns andthe people may not be as aware as say townies....

9. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    There are a few cities that let bikes use the bus lanes. I think, if memory serves, that it was piloted in Bristil or Bath and taken up by some other councils. I presume they make it obvious with the road signs?

10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    That they do... Your right and if the song says no bikes and you use it then your asking for trouble.. Some of the London buses have 16 cameras on them facing all direction....

11. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Some Welsh buses have recently, I'm led to believe, upgraded from steam to diesel power! bus.gif

bus.gif

• Like Like x 2
  12. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    Thing is if a bike hit a pedestrian you would be looking at careless driving anyway bus lane or not. He doesn't say you can't just recommends not to as 'friendly advice'

13. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    It will never catch on sounds like witchcraft to me

• Like Like x 1
  14. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    True, it wasn't an answer that really went anywhere.

15. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    I think he thought he was me mam for a bit and he could give me a bit of a lecture on road safety!

16. Kradser

Kradser Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Esbjerg Denmark
    I think its generally, that the police dont know everything and have to be carefull what they advise.
    For me, when I come back to the UK its always a pain to find out rule changes and such...
    The amount of speed camera`s is fecking amazing... Camera`s generally everywhere, yet nothing gets solved...

Rant over:smile:

• Like Like x 3
  17. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    We have one in Salisbury, its up on the signs for buses, taxis and motorbike in the summer very handy although you do get a few drivers who don't like giving way at the end

18. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    No they are no better in Wrexham at giving way. I don't tend to have a lot of patience anymore when I'm driving/riding and tent to tell people what I think, I think the general public just annoys me now.

19. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Hoi! I'm part of the general public! :wink:

20. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    Yeah but I bet you look for bikes when your driving so you don't count!