Female Tt Racers

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Iceman, Jan 9, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I thought people may like a different take on women and bikes, these are real female racers who race or have raced on the roads. Guess the name, the race, location and year.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    #2 Tiglet, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    I’d say it’s Julia Bingham, sidecar passenger to her husband Dennis Bingham.

Looks like Glenclutchery Road, IOM possibly 1985 or later.

Having trouble opening the second pic.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Spot on Tiglet, I took the one of Julia in pensive mood in the paddock, the second on Glenclutchery road as you say, they had a few second places, a few DNFs, they were fantastic to watch. Ride safe all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Here’s a couple of a very pretty English young lady who raced in the IOM and Grand Prix’s as a sidecar passenger.

upload_2021-1-9_23-18-9.jpeg

upload_2021-1-9_23-15-46.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    [​IMG]

Joe and Alma Rocheleaus, an American couple racing at the TT, on lap 1 they rounded Ramsey Hairpin, the outfit went airborne knocking Alma out of the chair, she hit Joe who was also knocked off, the outfit landed the right side up, they brushed themselves down with no apparent injuries, push started the outfit and raced on. Approaching Ramsey Hairpin on the second lap, still wondering how the spill happened when the flag marshal was waving the "oil on track flag", the oil was there on lap 1, however the flag marshal did not show it, no fault of Joe or Alma and they finished the race in a respectable position. If you ever have the time then please read how they got into sidecar racing, I know I was attending the TT that year as I have most years since 1967, but for the life of me I can't recall the couple. Ride safe all and keep the pictures coming.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Jaques Drion and Inge Stroll on the start line at the 1954 Isle Of Man Sidecar TT. Tragically at the 1958 Czechoslovakian Grand Prix, a non-championship event, the Norton sidecar outfit of Jacques Drion and Inge Stoll, while holding 2nd place left the road on a right-hand corner on the penultimate lap, hit a fence and turned over. Inge Stroll was killed instantly and Jacques Drion died later after being admitted to hospital. A very tragic end to a wonderful and talented couple.

inge-stoll-be532f9c-4c9f-48c6-ad65-9102d952d8a-resize-750.jpeg

fa4b12a58951b5a1045a0e5ab51ba0d6.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    @Iceman did you recognise the lady in my previous post(above).

If your unsure a clue: She was born and bred in your neck of the woods,,,she’s a Lancashire Lass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Sad story that mate.

Those old Pre kneeler outfits took some handling especially as some of the road GP circuits consisted of sections of cobble stones.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I think it is Dane Rowe

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Your bang on mate:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    3 regular female road racers

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  12. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    3 regular female road racers

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #14 Iceman, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Hi Tiglet spot on they were, the photo was the Cookstown 100 when Suzy Perry did an article on them. They are Veronika Hankocyova, Melissa Kennedy and Yvonne Montgomery, Yvonne came to racing fairly late in life but took to it straight away. Veronika raced at the MGP and obtained good results, later racing at the TT, she is engaged to Indi a racer himself, in fact they have raced together at most road race venues. Any takers on how Indi gained his nickname, its interesting and very funny. Melissa is really great to see in action, often the 3 of them are racing at the same event, I have the utmost respect for all people who race the roads, especially the 3 of them. Maria Costello is another really good road racer, although I haven't seen her doing the Irish Roads, she was on the podium at the Classic TT a couple of years back riding a Patton. Melissa Kennedy received the Walter Rusk Memorial Cup for most improved road racer in 2019. Melissa is pictured with fiancé Gary Dunlop, who won the Moto3 Championship also in 2019, Melissa came second.

TUFZMTE5OTYwODE0.jpg

2630.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi Iceman,,,I’m trying to recollect why Indi gained that nickname.

Was it because he worn a native Americans feathered headdress, I’m sure it was mentioned in the TV programme.

Like yourself I’ve seen Maria Costello race a few times at the IOM.
    She had really bad luck in 2016 when she lost 4 minutes at the start of the 350cc race when the Bob Jackson 250cc Suzuki refused to start IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Tiglet, yes you are correct, what happened was Indi was on the start line competing a long while back, a number of Americans were wearing "cowboy hats", not to be outdone Indi rocks up to the line with a full Native American Indian headdress on (bloody brilliant), and that's how he got the nickname Indi. I'd love to see them both race at the Southern 100 I bet they'd go well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi Iceman have you heard if this year S100 International meeting in July is a runner. I know they were enquiring about the availability of marshals a month ago.
    I’ve cancelled this years ferry/hotel bookings for July and have carried over our bookings (again) for the S100 Pre TT Classic meet to 2022.
    I used to flag marshal half way down Billown Dip in the garden of Roy Gellings farm, exciting spot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Tiglet, Roy and his Wife's hospitality is legendary, brews and bacon butties in the morning, more at lunch time, cake in the afternoon and plenty of brews, he even puts his hay trailers along the hedge for watching, its a friendly race meet. I received a press release a while back from the press secretary of the S100, I have copied it for you.
    The Directors of Southern 100 Racing met recently and are pleased to announce that planning and organisation of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Southern 100 Road Races is to continue for the 2021 event. The Provisional dates are: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 12th, 13th, 14th & 15th July 2021 It is important to understand that with the ongoing restrictions regarding the Covid-19 Pandemic likely to still be in place early into 2021, that events may have to be cancelled due to circumstances and Isle of Man government policy in force prior to and during the event.
    Southern 100 Racing would ask Competitors, Officials, Marshals, and spectators to ensure that all accommodation bookings and travel arrangements made are changeable or refundable should the provisional dates have to be changed. Our partners, The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Limited are already publicising that bookings made now, will not be subject to amendment fees and fully refundable should events be re-scheduled or cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. If travelling by air, please check with your airline company. It is also perhaps a timely reminder to everyone travelling to the Isle of Man, by whatever means to make sure that you have sufficient health insurance. The reciprocal agreement between the Isle of Man Health Service and the UK National Health Service only covers initial emergency treatment in hospital. Any additional service must be (hopefully) covered by personal insurance, or you could end up paying! (Competitors are covered in the case of a racing incident). Southern 100 Racing look forward to welcoming back fans old and new to the three ‘friendly races’ held on the Colas Billown Course since 1955. Full information and updates can be found on the club’s official website, www.southern100.com and on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/S100RoadRaces . Southern 100 Racing are very much indebted to our race headline sponsors, Isle of Man Steam Packet Company and the Department for Enterprise for their much valued and continuing support during these difficult and trying times. In the meantime, stay well and stay safe and see you in 2021!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Thanks for sharing the press release mate.

It’s Roy’s two daughters that do the catering now as Roy’s wife passed away a few years ago. IIRC it was the same year that he also lost a grandson who was his only grandson interested in farming. Think Roy was hoping that one day he would have taken over the farm.
    As you say the Gelling hospitality is legendary with all monies collected going to the S100 club.

I’ve not flag marshalled for a couple of years or been to the farm, must call in sometime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire

IMG_0873.JPG

• Like Like x 3