Feckin Useless Doctors

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dilligaf, Aug 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GPT100

GPT100 Active Member

Sep 13, 2016
    East Durham Coast
    Been down the physio route with me back, knees and elbows, did not help at all. Last physio bloke told me that it will not help with arthritis and also steroid injections would have no effect. I now take Naproxam anti inflamitories and the do help with the pain.
    And for some more soothing words, tramadol, paracetamol and Naproxam.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Now is the ideal time to get this sorted properly me thinks matey.
    Nothing to feel guilty about whatsoever.
    Hell, the government are actually ASKING people to go to a&e.

• Like Like x 4
  3. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    My sister was having hip and knee pain, she kept going to the doctor and they just recommended physio saying she was too young to be considered for joint replacement. Anyway after over 12 months it got so bad she could hardly move and the pain excruciating, she then got to have a scan (don't know if it was on NHS or she paid privately) when they discovered she has had a broken hip for over a year!! - She now has a replacement hip and is back to normal, and she is suing the NHS for loss of earnngs whilst she was unable to work.

• Like Like x 7
    • WTF WTF x 1
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    at this rate, we'll be having the next gmu2021 in the a&e cafe in sunderland gen!
    Or, dare i say it, newcastle...!!!

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #65 Judd Dredd, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Have just talked about this post to wor lass and we’ve said that I won’t be fobbed off on Monday when I have my telephone consultation :mad:
    If I’m not happy with what happens she’ll take me to A&E and I won’t leave until I’ve seen someone who can help me :confused:
    Cheers mate :)

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Cheers, Dilli.:)
    PMSL!!!!:laughing:
    Need more mind bleach ...... NOW!!:mad:

I do feel your pain though - really! I was standing on a wheel brace checking the wheel nuts on my hgv tipper trailer many moons ago when it slipped and down I went. Trouble was that I was hanging on to one of the hooks that hold the sheet on over the load and I forgot to let go, which resulted in a wrenched shoulder.:scream: I ended up having a cortisone (steroid) injection which cured it for a fair few years before having to have it repeated.
    Apparently they may not work at all, or they give anything up to a few years relief (as in my case) or they completely cure the problem. Unless they use a guiding wire to hit the spot then many GPs have the necessary training and know how to administer these injections. Some days I could do with another one myself!:(
    Could this be helpful? Hope so. Good luck with it all anyway!:)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    For some reason I've only just seen this thread. Sorry to hear abart thi problems Dilli, it dunt sound pleasant. I had sciatica years ago, whilst i was still playin football, and had to take painkillers to play. It gradually got worse, so I went to doc's, who referred mi to t'hospital for physio. I was going to physio every Wednesday for a year, and it was gradually getting worse, to t'point where I couldn't walk more than about 200 yards, wiart stopping and bending forward, which was really painful, but once I got to a certain point, summat twanged and I could walk again. It got to t'point where mi leg went dead as I was walkin, and it gave way as I walked into t'dining room at a hotel, whilst on mi hols. I think everyone thought I was pissed, typical English idiot abroad!! When I got back, I told mi physio, and he sent me for a scan. I had t'scan, and went straight to see him, and he could access it within minutes. As soon as he looked at t'scan, he said,"That's your problem". He pointed to a white blob in mi spine. Turned out to be a cyst growing inside mi spine, and trapping mi nerves. He immediately booked me into a private hospital, on t'NHS, and within a couple o weeks, I had surgery to remove it. It's been brilliant ever since.
    Good luck on Monday, and although I don't hold out much hope int current climate, I hope it goes t'way tha wants.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Late to the party so's to speak. Really sorry to hear that that your shoulders are still playing you up mate. I hope you get something from the doctor, but if not as has been said get yourself to A&E.....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I hope that your appointment goes well on Monday, Dilli. If you have to be the squeaky wheel, squeak loudly!

I, like many others on this thread, had a negative physical therapy experience. (Understatement) I went to PT about 5 weeks after my elbow surgery to start working on flexion/extension/strength. I let the therapists with whom I worked know that I was very motivated to get back to my usual activities and (at the time) had a "carrot" in front of me in the form of a big motorcycle trip in June. So they got to work in earnest...as did I. I asked them point blank if I could push too hard or too often or too long and was told no. Wrong! :p Between how hard the therapists pushed my elbow and how hard I pushed it on my at-home therapy days, my ulnar nerve was so damaged that my orthopedic surgeon thought I might need another surgery. :mad: So I cancelled my last four schedule physio appointments and had to shut down any flexion and extension work and for a month and lost all my hard fought gains. Since then I've been doing PT on my own at home. Fortunately I have a friend who is an occupational therapist who has been most helpful in providing advice and exercises for me. And her motto is "Use the EX-Lax Method of therapy--gentle persuasion". If you don't know what Ex-Lax is, Google it for a laugh.:joy: My surgeon backed us WAY off on how much flexion to work for and expect each month so I was more able to be patient and look at the long game. And not aggravate my ulnar nerve again.

Anyway, long story short...I was and still am pretty pissed about what happened with PT. I even told the therapists that my fingers and hand were starting to go numb and they said "we'll keep an eye on it". That office seemed designed to get as many patients in and out of the office as quickly as possible plus most of my sessions were managed by students or assistants who had me doing the same thing I could have done and was doing at home. I'd REALLY like to get back all of the co-pays (about $600) that I dished out.

The moral of the (longer than intended) story is, as others have said, be as certain as possible that you get a correct diagnosis before doing any sort of physio. And be your own advocate and listen to your body. I'll grant that it's tough to know how much is too much or if something is "off" when you have no frame of reference. But if something seems amiss or awry, it probably is. I don't assume all physical therapy is bad. But now I certainly don't assume that it's all good, either. :rolleyes:

Please let us know how it goes Monday, Dilli! Fingers crossed, good thoughts, and prayers for you! :heart:

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @dilligaf

How did your appointment go today, dilli???

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Its now officially "yesterday" here, Sandy.................

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Well I had the telephone consultation and got the ball rolling so to speak :)
    In the afternoon I got a follow up call asking me to attend the doctors surgery to give blood :skull:
    So that’s what I’m doing this morning :)
    I know that I’ll have to wait for the results to come through but I think once they’re in it will hopefully be the start of me getting seen properly and getting some sort of treatment :)

• Like Like x 14
  14. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Well, at least now that you wriggled your way into the system something might get done. Good luck mate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hope you get some decent results soon Dilli and get it sorted mate

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Good luck Dilli just keep on there case until you get something positive done mate.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Well it seems you have made some progress mate. Good luck for the next part of your journey :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Glad to hear you're on the system but they'll get a shock when your blood burns with a blue flame :p

• Funny Funny x 6
  19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hope you get it sorted now mate :):)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  20. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Just got back from giving blood :skull:
    Three or four days for the results then hopefully a REAL consultation with the right people at the hospital :)

• Like Like x 12