Trophy Extra Key

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Blacktruck, Sep 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Blacktruck

Blacktruck Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Texarkana, TX
    Greetings all.
    Last week I purchased a 2017 Trophy. It only came with one key. I am sure the keys are chipped so it will require a computer flash of some sort to get a replacement key to work. Do the dealers need a key number to get an extra or is it a blank that needs to be cut and then the computer updated?

2. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    If it's the master key (The fob is usually very large), then it can be easily copied for extra ones which have a slightly smaller fob.

If it's not the master, I'm not sure how easy it is to create extras.

Possibly worth popping into a dealer & asking them.

3. Blacktruck

Blacktruck Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Texarkana, TX
    Thanks for the reply. I have contacted a somewhat local dealer and was told it is an easy task as long as you have an original key. I would say mine is not the " master key" but they didn't ask and I hadn't read this when I talked with them.

4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    To get an official replacement key you need to provide either the key number or the vin number. Hinkley won't send one without either.

5. Blacktruck

Blacktruck Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Texarkana, TX
    I'm planning a trip to the dealership for that and just to check if any or all updates are necessary. They said they have key blanks that need to be paired with the system.

6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Maybe different in the US, but chipped keys in the UK are only available by order from Hinkley afaik.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    thank the christ I'm done with that fob nonsense...imho.

Although getting just a regular key cut here in the states is like finding a good light bulb among bricks.but I ended up with a few spares that work and 2 keys that work better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blacktruck

Blacktruck Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Texarkana, TX
    I have a fob for my car and I am not a fan of it. In the time I have owned it, I have had the fob go bad once and batteries that fail at the most inopportune time. The chipped key is okay. I had the Triumph dealer make one and it works fine.