Tiger 800 Expedition Pannier Lost Riding

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by JotaUser, Sep 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JotaUser

JotaUser New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Spain
    Dear friends,

Two weeks ago I was traveling to Gijón (North of Spain) from Madrid with my Tiger 800 XCA (I own since March 2018). The bike goes like a shot and it works great, I've been almost 4000km and very happy with the purchase.

The fact is that I was traveling with the motorcycle and the expedition panniers installed on, but empty because the luggage was taken by some of my companions who were traveling by car. While I was traveling more than 300km (the freeway certainly is in very bad condition), my right pannier expedition was released on the fly. The vehicle behind me dodged the pannier and stopped to warn me because I did not notice when I went with the preload. He told me that the suitcase gave a blow and fell into the gutter. Fortunately, no incident occurred that could have been very serious. I tried the next detour to turn around and go 10km back to pick up the suitcase but I did not find it.

When I got back to Madrid I mentioned the incident with Triumph Madrid where they tried a suitcase and saw that it was not released.

Analyzing the possibility of a bad assembly of the suitcase, after ALWAYS checking that the two indicators of the support bracket are put in GREEN (I always check), I do not understand how it is possible that the suitcase has been released, unless it could be a fault of manufacturing it (the vertical closure). I understand that if it had been an incorrect assembly it would have been released much earlier and not 300 km after the trip.

First of all, and most worrying is that this situation is really dangerous, and not only because I lost my suitcase (fortunately it was empty) but because it could have caused a serious accident to other vehicles, so that suppose

I asked about the possibility of guarantee of the suitcases (they are new since March) and they told me that without a suitcase it is not possible to verify that the suitcase has been and not a bad assembly by the user (OK I understand, lack of evidence)

You will see I write about this subject because it affects security and I think it is necessary to give it maximum diffusion, since from Triumph Spain according to them they have nothing more to say "without body there is no crime". They do not want to provide me with any documents that have been sent to official Triumph. According to them, everything is confidential.

I would like to transmit the message that you always ensure your panniers are OK and always check them properly and that I hope this does not happen anymore. I expect that my pannier was the only one faulty