Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Exhaust Polishing

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Repooh, Sep 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Jan 5, 2018
    Ruislip
    Exhaust polishing, not a metaphor for some dodgy shed based activity, but actual metal polishing.

So I prefer the shiny steel colour of the downpipes, however like many exhausts the impurities of the metals leech out under heat and turn the pipes browny-goldish. So I use Autosol and polish them back to shiny steel.

Question for you clever types is; will I damage, thin or compromise the pipes if I do this every couple of weeks

2. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    absolutely not. its just polish. dont know if you can get this where you are, but I use White Diamond polish few times a year. doesnt get headers back to silver, but evens out the brownish color at the first downward bend. i kinda like the color transition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BigCLM

BigCLM Active Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Not much you can do with the discoloration. Some like it, some don't. Only real way to stop it is to use chrome outer double-wall pipes like my old cruisers had. But not sure something like that is available for the street twin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick
    Subscriber

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford England
    Autosol is fine. Harpic Power (has sulphuric acid in it) comes highly recommended for the job. Check it out on youtube.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I think the wife would have something to say if I told her I was going in the garage for a ( check the link):eek:

7. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Member

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    All the reading I’ve done points to blue job, so have ordered some (sent yesterday). I will do some before and after on my gallery of 2018 Speedmaster upgrades, after new chrome pipes started bluing (brown mottle is the start of the process)

8. curly

curly Senior Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent