Speedmaster Exhaust Header Bolt Snapped, Anyone Familiar With These Bolts??

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Alibob, Nov 3, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Alibob
    All great tips. However unless you are a proviant hand with a drill don't take that route till last resort. But do get a wire brush and wd40 scrub that stud and around the head really well then either as said weld a nut on there or two nuts together very tight and heat gently around the area not the stud and like someone said just play with it in out in out till it frees when you get movement just in wd40 out wd40 and be patient.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Alibob

Alibob New Member

Nov 2, 2021
    South West
    Thanks everyone.

Thanks for sending this over. I couldn't see this stud in the exhaust system diagrams where it has the nut listed but now I found it I can just order replacements rather than messing about with the old ones.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Alibob

Alibob New Member

Nov 2, 2021
    South West
    Thanks for the tips everyone. The stuck studs are having a bit of a WD40 massage before I try and get them out. The biggest problem is getting at them (with big hands and tools!). Wouldn't it be nice to have a workshop. I will cut the old ones that are stuck on the pipes off and use all new replacements (T3100015 Stud).

Part of the problem before was that I couldn't find these stud bolts listed as a part which made me panic and think they were meant to be welded in the head! but I was trying to find them in the exhaust systems diagrams, where they have the nuts listed, rather than in the diagram of the head (https://www.worldoftriumph.com/collections/100066266-0-2?type=speedmaster-efi this is where they are https://www.worldoftriumph.com/collections/100066280-0-2?type=speedmaster-efi)

Another problem I have is a broken oxygen sensor. Can't believe how much Triumph want for these things. I was tempted to remove them altogether because I've heard that it makes for a much smoother ride, but an engineer friend of mine recons these engines prefer a leaner mix and these sensors do help with more than saving a few quid on fuel. Also unsure if it's an MOT requirement now? Thankfully found a used one on ebay for £30 rather than the £150 Triumph want.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Alibob, if I were you I would keep the oxygen sensor, especially if the exhausts are standard, there is currently no requirement for emissions testing for motorcycles, although it is being looked at by Government as a future possibility (what the hell isn't these days). Good luck with putting it all back together.

• Agree Agree x 2