Exhaust Butterfly Valve

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by PDeak, Jun 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PDeak

PDeak New Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Eysins, Switzerland
    Hello, I would like to understand the function and the operation of the exhaust butterfly valve inserted in the left exhaust pipe of my Thunderbird Commander. If for whatever reason this is efficient, why only in one of the pipes, why not in both of them. Any advice appreciated.

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Put on your big boy pants and man up
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi PDeak, and welcome in :cool::cool: no idea I'm afraid :confused::confused:

3. PDeak

PDeak New Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Eysins, Switzerland
    Thanks Helmut Visor. In the meantime I found a quite reasonable explanation.
    QUOTE --- The purpose of this system according to the motorcycle manufacturers’ marketing departments is to create back-pressure at lower RPM’s to increase torque. Unfortunately, this probably isn’t the real reason; the true purpose of the exup valves is to meet noise and emissions regulations. The exhaust valves are partially closed at idle and low rpm to reduce noise, and closed again at the upper RPMs to meet peak noise and emissions regulations. The proof of this has been shown on the dyno where removing the valves and retuning the engine creates a flatter better torque curve. --- UNQUOTE
    It still doesn't explain why only one system I/o two :-(

• Like Like x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf GrrrR3Rrrr
    Subscriber

Mar 30, 2017
    Washington Tyne & Wear
    Hi mate and welcome

5. Recmech

Recmech New Member
    Subscriber

Dec 10, 2018