Featured Touring European Trip

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Clunkie66, May 8, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clunkie66

Clunkie66 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2022
    Kent UK
    Update to a post on the Speed Triple forum. I'm heading off on a European trip with a couple of mates next weekend. I bought a Speed Triple 1050RS in October, absolutely love the bike, and thought 'why not do some touring on it?'. So here goes.

We"re getting the shuttle to Calais early next Saturday morning. Good day's riding down to Luxembourg. Overnight stay.

Sunday we're headed into Germany and plan on riding the Burgenstrasse (Castle Road) from Mannheim down to Prague, approx 600 miles. We are staying in Rothenburg for 2 nights to make the most of the scenery.

Tuesday riding into Prague, staying right near Wenceslas Square. Good day's riding.

Wednesday off to Berlin, staying near the centre for 2 nights to do some sightseeing. Always wanted to visit Berlin, never had the chance.

Friday heading up to Hamburg, hopefully via the Elbe valley if we have time. Again, always fancied having a look round, especially the Reeperbahn.

Saturday riding to do the obligatory overnight stop in Amsterdam, been a few years since I've been there.

Sunday back to Calais for mid afternoon train.

I reckon approx 1,800 European miles, plus another 100 UK for me (I'm in Kent), extra 200 for my pals who live in Norfolk.

I'm really excited, how does all that sound guys?

Bike is 2018 Speed Triple RS with 5,200 miles, bought it at 3k in October. Just had an oil change done and new Michelin PR5s fitted. Have fitted a comfort seat and a Powerbronze screen. Luggage wise I have a 15l tank bag, a Kriega US30 and a US10. I've heard that the Speedy is a very capable touring bike, tbh the only concern I had was the seat but hopefully the comfort seat should sort that.

Will post pics when I can.

Screenshot_20220508-224713.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  2. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Your planned tour looks very interesting. You will get to see many cultural highlights. Driving will still be exhausting, though, as there will be a lot of truck traffic, especially in Germany. Be careful when using the German highways that when driving fast with the luggage everything stays in the safe zone! At construction sites, be sure to keep the speed limit, otherwise it will be expensive! Your bike will give you a lot of pleasure. Have fun and a good trip. I look forward to your photos!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clunkie66

Apr 5, 2022
    Kent UK
    Thanks for your help and input. We're aiming to cover roughly 150 miles a day as we'll be riding more on the first and last days so hopefully won't be too tiring. We're done plenty of tours over the years so know our limits. Will post lots of pics!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Looking to your photos and stories, @Clunkie66! :) Hope you have smooth travels and good weather. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Looking good! I've done several tours on my 2005 Speed triple, and found it both capable and comfortable. The Kriega stuff is brilliant, that will sit there and not move, even at speed. We're away to the Vosges as of next weekend, otherwise we could have met up when you're in Amsterdam, as that's only 25 miles from where I live.

6. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    I thought that the 2018rs came with the comfort seat as standard,, can you tell me the part number please., Have a great trip.

7. Clunkie66

Apr 5, 2022
    Kent UK
    What a trip! Returned home yesterday having covered 1,900 European miles plus 50 each way to Folkestone, so 2,000 in total.

I found the Speedy RS surprisingly comfortable, the only issue that I had was my elbows got sore after too much slow town riding, maybe need bar risers to raise the bars a wee hit. The most mileage we did in a day was 350, but we were stopping every 100 miles or so to refuel, from brimmed to fuel light coming on. My two mates were riding a Z1000 SX and a BMW S1000 XR, both had larger tanks and more wind protection. I didn't have any issues with Autobahn cruising at 90 mph, anything faster that that was uncomfortable. I averaged 49 mpg with a mixture or riding, Autobahn, fast twisty main roads and slowish town.

Germany was incredible, the scenery stunning and roads lovely. Everyone we spoke to were exceptionally friendly and most spoke good English although we tried our best in German. Took the Autobahn from Luxembourg for 100 miles which was very scenic, then the same on A roads to Rothenberg ob der Tauber in northern Bavaria. Very picturesque medieval walled city, strongly recommend a visit. We stayed there for a couple of days. We rode some of the BurgenStrasse (castle Road) but some of the castles were too far away to do in a day. Next time maybe.

The Czech republic was a bit dull in comparison although Prague is beautiful. The ride to Berlin was good, long and hot though. Berlin was interesting to have a look round and was good to relax for a couple of days.

The ride from Prague to Hamburg was lovely, following the Elbe and a hundred miles of fast Twisties. Great fun. Wouldn't go back to Hamburg but worth a visit. Haven't been to Amsterdam for years and hasn't changed much, just busier. The ride from Hamburg back to Calais was pretty flat but good scenery.

I was worried about luggage but my Kriegas and 15 litre Givi tank bag were perfect.

So overall a great trip, only got caught once in a downpour so very lucky. We're thinking about heading further south in Bavaria via the Black Forest next year.

Will post pics when I can work out how to downsize them!

• Like Like x 7
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Your tour looks awesome. I love touring in Europe and will be doing France and Spain in September :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Clunkie66

Apr 5, 2022
    Kent UK
    Here are a few pics...

IMG_20220515_163644 copy.jpg

IMG_20220516_122717 copy.jpg

IMG_20220516_142233 copy.jpg

IMG_20220516_203613 copy.jpg

IMG_20220516_211032 copy.jpg

IMG_20220517_184657 copy.jpg

IMG_20220518_101449 copy.jpg

IMG_20220518_134524 copy.jpg

IMG_20220519_121309 copy.jpg

IMG_20220522_093728 copy.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  10. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Sounds like you’ve had a blast!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    What a great adventure, @Clunkie66! Thanks for the descriptions and stories. And I'm glad you figured out how to downsize your photos so you could post them for us to see. You were in some very stunning places! Glad all went smoothly and that you had a great trip.

12. SIlverbadger

SIlverbadger New Member

May 17, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Appreciate the pics and info mate. I'm going away for a long weekend shortly and was looking at the US30 and US10, so great to see how they look on the bike. Didn't appreciate how tall they would sit on the rear seat. Certainly no swinging your leg over the top of those then to mount and dismount :)

13. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    20210909_145533.jpg
    If you mount the 10's to the sides of the 30 it's not so bad actually.

• Like Like x 3