Europain Driving Licence

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Big Sandy, Apr 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Spotted this snippet of info on A. N. Otherforum

Anyone thinking of driving in Europe after 12 April, make sure you get an IDP only £5.50 from the post office ASAP AND DEFINITELY BEFORE THE 12TH. (make sure it’s the right one for whatever country you may travel through.) AFTER 12th you may have to take a driving test for International Drivers Lic!

I don't know what £5.50s worth of IDP is, and I'm not likely to travel to yoorup, but thought it might be of interest to some of you more widely travelled guys.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    There is no test to take (more scaremongering), just be aware there are 3 different ones so make sure you get the one pertinent to your journey. The majority of countries are on one licence including France but annoyingly Spain is on a different one, the Post Office have all the details :cool::cool:

3. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I was reading about this earlier today. Apparently " failing Grayling " the transport Secretary has done it again.
    In their wisdom, the government have stopped online applications for these licenses. Can no longer get them from the AA or RAC either.

So how do you get one I hear you ask, :p, yup go and queue at one of the main post offices that stock the application forms. Progress or what. :confused:

4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Basically posted by someone who hasn't bothered to read this properly.

UK licence holders who live in the EU or EEA
    From 12 April 2019, in the event that there is no EU exit deal, you will need to re-take your driving test in the EU country where you live to be able to carry on driving there.

5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Took me 5 minutes.....no hardship really and they were very helpful, I'm not so important that my time is that precious :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    My time's not that precious either HV. But I would rather take 5 mins applying for a license online then traipsing around to a Post Office for one. I thought those days were gone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I think it's a lot of BS. When was the last time you needed to take an IDP to the USA to hire a car? If you live in another country (non-EU) you are required to take the local test after, I think, six-months. Currently. this is not required between EU countries. You certainly don't need one to drive your own vehicle on holiday in any European country. However, insurance may be another matter - UK insurers tried to wriggle out of making it the same across all EU countries (remember the old "green card"?), but had to in the end. They will probably tale full advantage of this situation by stitching you up to give you the same cover in Europe. Best check when, and if, we really leave.

8. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Got mine last week, only need a recent passport photo, plastic driving licence and £5.50. Assistant filled in all the paperwork, took about five minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    As I said, it was a post I spotted, it's not something that's A) going to effect me, afaik, and B) that I even understand :)

Just though it was worth mentioning for those who do understandify it.

What is an IDP, by the way?

For info, it was a guy in Italy that posted the original comment :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I think it's International Driving Permit, but I could be mistaken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    All I can say from personal experience is that a couple of years ago I decided to have a French drivers license in place of my UK one and it was purely an admin procedure and cost nothing at all. Kept all my HGV classes and such too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Just noticed the title, intentional pisstake or spelling error?:p

• Like Like x 1
  13. David Rowbotham

David Rowbotham New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    Oldham
    No test needed. Wherever this info has come from is totally incorrect. You can drive in any country for a period of time without residencey, normally 6 to 12 months . All you'll need is an IDP. and even that is debatable in Europe at the moment.

• Like Like x 1