Ethanol In Uk

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by alfie, Apr 14, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Interesting email I received today regarding Ethanol from Haynes the Manuals people. I don't think the links in the article work.

E10 petrol is coming to the UK – will it affect your vehicle?
    From September this year, the UK government will allow the introduction of E10 petrol at filling stations. ‘E10’ is a reference to the percentage of ethanol mixed into the petrol. Currently, the UK's normal ‘baseline’ petrol is E5. It contains 5% ethanol, so E10 contains twice the amount.

The government claims that CO2 production will be cut by as much as 750,000 tonnes annually as a result of this change, but there could be some negative effects, too. Here Martynn explains what they could be...

[​IMG]
    What is ethanol?

Ethanol is ethyl alcohol, a plant-based biofuel made from biomass such as corn or sugar cane. Being plant-based, it’s a renewable form of fuel, not a fossil fuel.

Ethanol absorbs water

If your vehicle is less than 20 years old and is driven regularly (at least once a week), you're unlikely to notice any differences when using E10 petrol. But if your vehicle is left unused for a couple of weeks or more, the water content in the fuel will rise, which could cause corrosion in the fuel system and poor starting and performance.

Ethanol is a solvent

Ethanol will slowly eat through rubber, plastic and fibreglass. This will affect rubber seals and hoses in the fuel systems of older vehicles in particular, causing the material to perish and eventually leak. One solution is to replace them with special ethanol-proof components (fuel hose, seals, etc.). Ethanol is particularly bad news for solder, so older vehicles with carburettors and brass floats will be especially vulnerable.

Ethanol is 34% less energy-dense than petrol

So to get the same power output from your engine, that accelerator pedal is going to have to be pressed harder! Obviously, this will have an effect on your vehicle's fuel consumption.

[​IMG]
    Will my vehicle be affected?

The government claims there are currently around 600,000 vehicles on the road in the UK that should avoid using E10. Generally speaking, if your vehicle was made after 2000, it should be okay. Check the GOV.UK website here.

What should I do if my vehicle can’t use E10?

The good news is that the government has promised that E5 fuel will be available for at least five years. The not so good news is that only filling stations that sell more than 1,000,000 litres of fuel in total will need to ensure one of the fuels on offer is E5 (with some exceptions). You can be sure that, where available, E5 prices will rise accordingly.

Vehicles in storage

Fuel left in the tank for weeks will begin to degrade. The ethanol will absorb more moisture from condensation, and begin to separate out from the petrol it was mixed with. This will cause corrosion in metal fuel system components and could cause other problems. Certain types of plastic and fibreglass ‘swell’ when exposed to ethanol. Plastic fuel tanks seem especially affected by this, with mountings no longer aligning and sender unit caps no longer fitting.

One possible solution is an additive that, when combined with the fuel, stabilises the ethanol, preventing it from separating out and helping to prevent corrosion. There are many suitable additives available, such as Millers Ethanol protection or Lucas Oil Ethanol fuel conditioner. Check with your owner's club or the Federation of British Historical Vehicle Clubs.

So is ethanol in fuel a good idea?

Given the problems it causes for older vehicles, the increase in fuel consumption and the increasing amount of land now used for fuel production that used to grow food, the jury’s still out on this one.

Technical Editor, Martynn Randall has been with Haynes for 27 years and has written more than 60 Haynes Manuals.

Alfie

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    The working links in the article

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol utm_source=Haynes+Publishing+UK+Newsletter+%28UKOPT_IN%29&utm_campaign=0ec17e9579-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_MARTYNNS_TIPS_E10FUEL_APR_2021&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f534f1bb3f-0ec17e9579-75928905&goal=0_f534f1bb3f-0ec17e9579-75928905&mc_cid=0ec17e9579&mc_eid=3eb44eb498

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

Alfie

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GrumpyGranpa

GrumpyGranpa Member

Mar 27, 2021
    Nottingham
    I have for years since ethanol has been put in fuel as a part time biker have run the tank low before laying up for winter chucked fuel stabiliser in and run for 5 mins to get stabiliser into carbs, forget name of product as bought a few bottles and not got through it all yet, better safe than sorry

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Sounds like a sex pistols tune :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I use RedeX
    Also, although the premium fuel at Esso (in the UK) says it is 5% Ethanol (E5) it doesn't have any in except for in a few counties
    I use RedeX in my carb 2001 Fazer and she still kicked into life straight away after 5 months with Shell premium (E5). I filled it up with Shell before I learned Esso premium was best

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Also, I do the same commute day in day out. The non premium fuel gives me repeatedly 10% less milage MPG than premium

This is in my 2017 Ford Focus 1ltr

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Think you'll find bikes with plastic tanks will have problems, even E5 has caused problems for some older Sprint ST's and similar.
    (and Cornwall is one of the places you can't get Ethanol free fuel where/what ever you fill up)
    When I had a Multistrada the fuel gauge sender would always fail over winter storage I think Ethanol was the cause IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    The government is full of shit about CO2 pollution, why because the main byproduct of ethyl alcohol production is in fact CO2. Con artist at work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vegan Flea

Vegan Flea Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    This is correct, I believe it is Wales and Scotland that have the ethanol variant. I keep a clean Gerry can in the car and fill it up with Esso Supreme and just keep my bikes topped up. If I have to fill a bike elsewhere, I run it very low on fuel before topping up Esso Supreme. I make sure the tank content is 100% Supreme before laying up for winter. MachineMart do Gerry cans at a good price and sell the proper spout for them too.

You can get a kit to remove the ethanol from fuel and an additive to replace the octane you loose by removing the ethanol. It's a faff, but I will move on to this method once Esso start putting ethanol in the English supply. Incidentally, Esso also do an app which allows you to pay at pump from your phone at some of their locations. That's handy as you can keep your helmet on.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    I've been using this (Starbrite Star Tron) I have no idea if it does what it's claimed to do. All I can say is I've left my vehicles for months over lockdown and apart from the battery's going down when charged all vehicles have started straight away and run with no noticeable difference. Whereas I've read many times that guys/girls have had starting and running problems after only a short period of non running.

• Useful Useful x 1