England - They've Only Gone And Done It

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TEZ 217, Jul 8, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Well don't usually post anything to do with football but you gotta give the boys some credit, :cool:
    the game this evening against Denmark was something else, bloody hard work and just as hard to watch but as the title says They've only gone and done it !!! :eek::eek::eek:
    Into the final against Italy and nearer something I think this country could do with at the moment a chance of Victory,:heart: saying that to get this far is no mean feat and I think worthy of a big shout out.
    Well done lads, keep up the good work and bring the buggar home, :D:D Cmon :party::party:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    I aint been that worried for a semi since watching broke back mountain.:confused::confused:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    #3 Adie P, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    I couldn't agree more!

I kind of understand all the derogatory comments about "puffball" etc., but do find them a tad irritating as I suspect that a vanishingly small minority of forum members (myself included, now) actually have the ability to even run 100 yards, let alone do it with the added complications of simultaneously controlling a football; maintaining an awareness of team member positioning; considering the route to target and avoiding the (very) physical approaches of multiple opposition team members!

Yep, totally agree that the antics of highly paid, neatly coiffured men rolling around the greensward in apparent danger of imminent death from the light tap on a shin pad is (somewhat ironically) unprofessional, unseemly and unnecessary most of the time ..... though having suffered more than a few bruising encounters in the past I can affirm that it's often far more painful and damaging than might appear. And, YES, I know and agree, the wobbly ball game is FAR more physical - brutal even - and far less 'precious' than the "beautiful game" BUT does that mean it is, per se, 'better'? I don't think so. They're different games with the same name - look beyond the negatives; ignore the disagreeable, and the unappetising and see the real effort, talent and skills that are there if you look for them.

And consider, if you will, this :- is a top flight, professional motocross rider any less worthy, less talented or less special than a Moto GP rider? Is a trials rider -- professional, amateur or just pleasure -- any less admirable than a speedway rider? I don't think so - they each and all have a level of interest and ability that drives them to indulge and compete in their particular branch of a two wheeled sport. A broken bone (etc.) suffered in participation of one is no less painful or debilitating than one suffered in another. They should be respected for it whether or not they are paid, unpaid; pleasure or professional, top flight or bottom tier ...... it remains that " ... it's the taking part that counts"!

When all is said and done, this England team in this competition have done a superb job of getting through some tough and uncompromising games to reach what will be a momentous final. For my money, that's something that even the "puffball" haters can - should - applaud. And enjoy. Unless - no, EVEN IF - if you're Welsh or Scottish. Yeah, I know - fat chance.

BRING IT HOME, ENGLAND.

Should this have been in 'Rant of The Day', d'ya think?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I thought England played really well last night for most of the game and deserved the win (even although that wasn't a penalty!) I only watch football if it's the world cup or the Euros. i do think they will have to up their game a lot if they are going to have any chance of beating Italy,as someone who isn't baised i havn't been impressed with all their prevoius games and the fact they coudn't score against a country with a small population..and a crap team! (Scotland) although Scotland do seem to play a bit better when playing England. it doesn't really fill me with confidence.but i do wish them all the best and it would be great for the country if they could pull it off.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    #5 Dave49, Jul 8, 2021
    Told the cat that the football was on again...

yawn.jpg

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    Penalty or not, about time something went our way and makes up for some of this.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If I was a ref,they would all be getting sent off!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    A great night. I may however be regetting the last 2 pints, jagerbomb and the JD and coke........:joy:o_O:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Told my cats we'll be on the sofa watching the final .......

[​IMG]

..... and cheering for England ...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    Brilliant! :laughing: But remember mine's a Scottish cat...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    so its gone out like the team then,,,,,?:laughing::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    #12 Dave49, Jul 8, 2021
    Yeah, catching mice... I don't know if the team can do that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes a fantastic night for England and their supporters. I do think Sunday's game will be a much bigger challenge, but I’m hoping for a win
    For all those football haters, I hope you find something useful to do while keeping an eye on the game.. you know that you will

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    Yes indeed. As a Moto Guzzi owner, I'll be cheering my side on...

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Credit where credit is due. I've spent many years avoiding England games because it's been boring to watch. I rarely watch MOTD these days because I can't stand overpaid tossers rolling around on the floor trying to con the ref and get other players sent off. But this England squad has far exceeded expectations and regardless of the result against Italy, I think to a man they deserve all the praise due.

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I don't know if league games have that video ref,but if they do they should give severe penalties for obvious dives and dodgy grabbing /pushing/kicking Ie sent off and given a 3 match ban,that would soon sort all the tossers out,then the game would change for the better.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    But it made up for the earlier penalty not given..
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Agreed, great achievement and one more game to glory. I did say early in the tournament that the team that beats Italy wins it, and so it must be. Tough ask, but let's think positively, unlike the Negative Norahs who seem to inhabit this forum in depressingly large numbers. I might even have a ginger ale if they win it. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes great game and I say for the great British team. Hope Sunday is a good day. See how the mood of the country has lifted today. And yes we played great and deserved the win. Commiserations to the Danes who gave their all. Next time perhaps. Well done chaps you made us all happy again.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Didn’t watch it, and won’t be watching the final, I’m not a footy hater, just isn’t my sport same as tennis or cricket isn’t. I hope we win and congratulate them for doing well this far, god knows we could do with something to cheer us up.
    Ginger ale eh, how those summer evenings fly by :p
    (Come on Ingerland)
    Shit, did I say that aloud :eek:

• Like Like x 4