Engine Will Not Start - Help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mr.Goodwill, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Mr.Goodwill

Mr.Goodwill New Member

Mar 24, 2019
    London
    Hello, greetings to all Members
    I recently purchased a 2014 Bonneville America. The lady selling it was parting with her late husband's bike, who passed away two years ago. It was a non-runner. I brought it home, installed a new battery, turned on the ignition, pressed the kill switch, and pushed the start button... but nothing happened. I checked the fuses (next to the ignition barrel), and all seemed fine. I moved the sidekick a few times even though the neutral green light was on. Do you guys have any suggestions before I start dismantling the kill switch? I do not have electracal diagram. Thanks.

2. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    My T120 also requires the clutch lever pulled in even if it is in neutral.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    I was told that all triumphs require the clutch pulling in before they will start - I don’t know how far that rule applies going back in history, but mines a 2012 FYI

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Yep, it'll be the clutch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr.Goodwill

Mr.Goodwill New Member

Mar 24, 2019
    London
    Yes, it was broken clutch switch. I shortcut the switch and it started. So, I am wondering is it OK to pernamently shortcut the switch ?

6. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    If its shortcut permanently you run the risk of starting the bike with it in gear. That then has it lurching forwards, catching you unawares and sat on the floor

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Mr.Goodwill

Mr.Goodwill New Member

Mar 24, 2019
    London
    Good point ! I've already ordered new switch.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    But isn't that how it used to be back in the day?
    Everyone managed and didn't bat an eyelid, without being molly coddled every step of the way, not like now a days what with all this H & S and woke nonsense.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Yes, but IMHO things like clutch and stand switches are useful progress rather than a move towards a nanny state :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I actually partly agree with your opinion there......
    But the problem is, when this stops a human being actually controlling and respecting the vehicle and its related dangers.
    Parking sensors are a good addition to modern cars but how many drivers now could accurately park their cars without them?
    People become lazy, or dependent on technology, to resolve their bad habits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    That’s the difference between something being used as a backup to one’s own ability/skill/awareness/etc for completing a task, rather than it being the only means that someone totally relies on. The best example for me being satnav - I use one to better understand traffic conditions and how that will affect my arrival time. Others follow blindly and have no understanding of anywheres geographical position to where they are at any one time from point of departure to arrival.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The starter lockout circuits (clutch, neutral and sidestand switches) fitted to most bikes came about to avoid the danger of riding off with the sidestand down. My dirtbike doesn't have a SLC and it's not an issue although it does have a self folding sidestand so you can't ride off with it down. TBH I sometimes find the necessity to pull in the clutch on the SS to start it even when it's in neutral a bit of a PITA and unnecessary. The ZZR has a clutch switch but it can be started in neutral with the clutch out.

13. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    #13 Boothman, Dec 12, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    Now I’m confused - having read your post that sounds complimentary to my own thoughts @Pegscraper I don’t understand why you have Disagreed with my #9 response to @Eldon

14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    So @learningtofly with you disagreeing with my post 8 are you saying that's not how it used to be?
    If you've been into bikes a few years then I think you will find I'm right, if you cast your mind back?

15. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I was riding back in the 70's / 80's so not disagreeing with that. More signalling that progress has generally been a good thing, especially with regard to motorbikes.

Don't be touchy ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    My point was (which I should have stated more clearly), is I've owned and ridden bikes without such "safety" features and didn't miss them. Was starting in gear or riding off with the sidestand down really that much of an issue? I doubt it.

On a loosely related theme, I had an intermittent misfire develop on a new GPZ1000 I bought in 1986 and they eventually traced it to a faulty sidestand switch. In the pre- ECU/computerised diagnostics era that really took some finding!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    That makes more sense now - for the record I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with me (happens all the time :)).

Many, many moons ago I took a tumble from my GP125 as I’d left the stand down and so had my heart set (once I’d passed my test) on a GPZ550. They had the auto fold stand when you pulled in the clutch.
    Alas I didn’t have the funds come pass day and bank managers were less approachable back then. My only option was the Bank of Mum & Dad and whilst the terms were excellent the pot was not so large. A second hand CB400 Superdream was the best I could get which had no wizardry, but was still a heap of fun :cool:

18. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Could've done a lot worse!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Self folding sidestands can also be a bit of a hazard. On the dirt bike, let's face it, if (when) it falls over it's no big deal, hardly anything to break but the Ducati 1198SP I owned briefly in 2011 also had one and that certainly did cause some heart stopping moments! Dropping £17k's worth of plastic clad superbike because of a "safety" feature would NOT go down well. :sob::sob:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Yep, been there done that on an A65 years ago when I thought the stand was down and it wasn't and then on a 78 Bonnie parked on a very slight incline downhill the sidestand decided to flip up and drop the bike on its side. Note, never park facing downhill. Lol
    My old Sprint sometimes needed the clutch pulling to start, other times not.