Sprint engine wanted for my 2003 sprint955i 2nd generation

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by joe mc donald, Jun 13, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Peeps over the next month or so whilst on your travels if some one see's a sprint955i engine lowish miles going for the right price please let me know as mine has blown either head gasket valve or something nasty as the air box is full of oil. Thought if I could find a replacement it would give me more time to check this one out it is the second generation engine late 2003 2004 or 05. I would be very grateful.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Joe, when you say the airbox is full of oil,do you mean that literally,or do you mean there is a puddle of oil in the airbox?

It is not at all unusual to have some oil in there as the crankcase breather is plugged into it.

3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dave
    Yes there was a puddle of misty oil in there. My son was riding it at around 80 miles per hour and out the back of the engine there was a blue spray I think it was coolant it was very hot and the fan had cut in. Took the plugs out two were tainted and one clean. Also the injectors had oil residue in them well two and three had. I am having a real run of bad luck lately. The bike has 16000 thou on it and has ride faultlessly over the last two years. What did happen the day before was the tank air intake had blocked and we had to clean it out to get it to start. Any idea's you have would be received gratefully. I will rebuild the top end but I was just trying to keep the old girl on the road for now as I use it for work. Thanks for all your help and kind comments.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Joe, sorry to hear that you are having a shit time.

If it were me, before I did a BIG strip down I would be checking for easy stuff.

So first of all, I would check the crankcase breather hose to ensure it is not clogged, blocked or twisted.

I'm not familiar with your engine so I haven't got any pics, but you should be able to locate yerself. They are usually a rubber hose of approx 3/4inch diameter,going from the crankcase (obviously :oops:) to the air box. Once located, take it off, wash out with petrol and make sure it is dry before re-installation. Only install the crankcase end and position the airbox end so you can watch and listen to what happens. Now run the bike up and listen carefully to how it runs.

Take the air filter out and run her up - how does she sound?

Check the coolant and if in any doubt replace it. Then run her up and listen.

Are you sure the fuel tank breather is now clear? If in doubt open/remove the tank filler cap and run the engine up - how does she sound?

The purpose of the above is to try - in a logical step by step way - to diagnose what the problem is and where it is located.

"Your mission, should you accept it, is to do the above. This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds"

5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thebiglad
    I have just gone through the breathers and they are as clear as a whistle. Funny the oil seemed good. When the boy pulled over the bike was billowing out a plume of white smoke well not just a plume it fogged up the whole motorway. The fan was running full bore. You got me wondering now did the bike over heat but even then something got past the valves and into the exhaust. I have got the bike stripped back to the head now but I might try to put some bit back and try a start up to see what happens. That was the other thin when he pulled over the engine was not revving like it usually does. But all in all these things are sent to try us no good getting down in the dumps over them better just to move on and keep going. And its nice to know there are people like your self out there that care. Try to explain that to a non biker they think you have a screw loose.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Joe, it's a shame you didn't mention the plumes of white smoke before!!! Sounds like a head gasket blown.

• Like Like x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes sorry again I am still trying to piece the events back in my mind as I was scared stiff my boy would come of as the back tyre was drenched in coolant. I still might try and throw it back together loosely and just see if perhaps the fairies have fixed it for me over night. But the oil all milky in the airbox makes me think it is more but I keep thinking did it suck it back down the carb bodied.
    Thanks Again.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thebiglad
    Well its more than gasket. I just pulled the head of and looks like we have piston melt in pot one. Its made a mess of the piston and top ring showing but I don't know why as there is no valve slap or any thing but the ally piston is all melted on the valve head.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh ! That doesn't sound good!

10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    thebiglad
    All in the game go back to start don't collect your bonus. My son just blew his 675 aswell sympathy I think he ended up with three big holes in his crank cases. But of course his is a race bike. Like Father like Son now we can both start searching.
    Regards
    Joe

11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Peeps
    Scrap my request for an engine as I have decided to scrap the bike or sell as a project. I just didn't realize how much work was involved in doing a rebuild these days. So now I am dropping back to owning two bike rather than three. Now trading my Harley for a Bonneville 2010 model and my Sprint 1050. Teach me for being so greedy having three bikes.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1