Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Valk100, Jun 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    So valk100 ..what was the question again?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Aye mate and maybe a bloody nose

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2016
    North Wilts.
    Now then diesel oil should never be put in a petrol engine because of the reaction between the oil detergents and the fuel. All oils other than castor oils have detergents in them in various amounts. Other additives give better anti wear and cling etc. Castoral magnitec for example has more cling additives that protect parts on start up. Even if you use the best oil in the world it won't protect your engine if you don't let it. I see some many people start their engines and immidiatly rev it or drive away. This is perfect engine hell. 30 seconds on idle and drive/ride away. Doing that everytime can put 30,000 miles on a vehicle. If you have a manual choke get it off as early as possible. Petrol is a solvent and its washing your precious oil off the bores and burning it. Show me someone bouncing an engine off the rev limiter and I'll bet they have never built an engine

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    I g
    I guess you had better inform Harley Davidson about the diesel oil,it's their manual

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2016
    North Wilts.
    Its ok you cannot make a harley any worse. They are two wheeled tractors anyhow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Petrol this is something I read in my own Harley owners manual over 10 years ago,I googled it yesterday and it's still showing it ,it gave me a giggle then and still does every time I think of it

• Like Like x 1
  7. Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2016
    North Wilts.
    Had you not included the photo I would not have believed it. I'm a mechanic by trade and the whole subject of oil facinates me. (I know ,I know ! Could be worse , train spotting etc. ) Most of it started when my wife and I got into bsa bantams and I had to listen to the urban myths about them running on anything including parrafin etc. All complete tosh of course and working out which two stroke oils are best is harder because there is no world standard whereas four strokes have the sae system (society of automotive engineers ) which is American. We rode 50 year old bikes though Los Angeles with a temperture of 102 f . What saved them was fully synthetic oil ! The last two letters of the api rating like sj for example which is semi synthetic tell you how high up the scale it is. Years ago there was no car or bike oil, it was just oil. My only regret is not using the very best oil available all the time. Had I have done so the differance in price over 20 would hve been about £100.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Oil's ain't oil's, they as yousay liquid engineering ! I did 20yrs in the Australian Army, they had there own engine,gearbox and differential oil's. The diff oil was magic great in any vehicle ! But the Engine oil had very strong and advanced cleaning agent's in it, used from new worked fine in most engine's, but use it in an older engine (say 100,000 plus miles) and disaster, it would strip out gumming and sediments and the seals or rings would fail !!!
    I had a Laverda RGS 1000 in 1983, Pennzoil was the recommended, it didn't like any other, clutch slip or over heating occurred ! I know from Personal Experience !

Cheers capt.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I never realised this was even a thing, putting car oil into bikes (same as putting car tyres on bikes). But as we see this is quite a hotly contested area for debate.

I shall be sticking to using semi-synth bike oil, as there is no financial gain for me. Maybe if I got car oil at 1/2 the price, might be tempted to give it a go, but as I live out in the stix all oil is either Halfords or internet, usually Opie oils - free next day and usually before 7am !!! The risk / gain ratio doesn't work for me, so still probably no.

But even then, I believe that oil companies employ chemical engineers for a reason, to develop the best oils for that situation, be it bike , car, gearbox, etc. Might be getting told bullshit and all out of the same pot, but will continue on bike oil until I am convinced otherwise AND makes a big financial saving

Would you put supermarket oil in your car, or supermarket petrol/diesel ???? I for one wouldn't touch the cheap oil, but I buy whoever is selling the cheapest diesel when I need it. If it wasn't for supermarkets keeping the prices down, the oil companies would be charging us £5.00 a litre for fuel, never mind a gallon !!!! So maybe cheap supermarket oil, poured into Corsa's etc does us a favour by keeping the price down, and cheap oil is better than no oil !!!!

Use what your happy using, just my opinion on the matter, if you get car oil considerably cheaper than bike oil, maybe the risk / gain ratio does work for you. Doesn't mean you have to listen to me or believe my beliefs, just an opinion.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    And we haven't even started on antifreeze / coolant yet!??
    :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Any Austrian wine mate, doesn't matter, all taste like pish ;):laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Well you're all wrong ! Oil of Ulay is best because it contains "essential oils".
    And it makes you pretty. That's why you lot are all ugly ! ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2