Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by In my own world, Mar 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Interesting links Flashp and I suppose sums up the whole thing. Certain aspects are visible/obvious (clutch slip) whilst others (long chain molecules) are less so. The older pre unit set ups with separate gearboxes I suppose were fully tolerant of "wrong oils" so maybe that's where some folk on here learnt their knowledge :joy:

Like lots of things in life you pays your money and takes your choice!

• Like Like x 2
  2. WOODYDEL

WOODYDEL Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Though I have always used "motorcycle" oil ,my latest change to even more expensive Castrol Power 1 oil has had me thinking my money could possibly be wasted. This is the new online Triumph recommended product. Used to be Mobil 1 in my owners manual.

So anyway I got to thinking about whether this newly recommended oil was indeed worth using. That's why I ordered this test kit last week.

I'm uploading pics of the kit/paperwork. I might be wasting even more money on a bunch of hooey.

black bottle.jpg

sample report.jpg

how to send.jpg

back page to identify (2).jpg

front page to identify (2).jpg

tbn or not.jpg

white bottle.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I always thought of oil analysis as being used to analyze the oil you have been using in your motor after its changed in order to find out its effect on engine wear and how it holds up by measuring the metal deposited and combustion acids dissolved in it...at least that why i had some oil from my tuned car engine analyzed for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    This thread is an interesting read and does make one wonder if its all smoke and mirrors and a salesmans playground. A link from someone touched on the subject of running in oil and how it was unnecessary for modern motorcycles. Smith and Allan being a trusted value for money supplier here list running in oil (presumably not just for a certain engine type, after all we are talking car oil in bikes).

So whos kidding who?

• Like Like x 2
  5. WOODYDEL

WOODYDEL Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2018
    The maintenance schedule states oil change every 6000 miles but makes no allowances for synthetic etc.

So, I will find out if my money is being wasted based upon mileage, depletion of oil's components and dollars spent.

For me, the money spent on oil for three bikes is insignificant.

If they find lots of metal etc from excessive wear then there will be a problem. I will be in Triumph's face for sure.

Had I not downloaded the altered version of my manual, I would have continued use of Mobil 1 racing oil. What good is a manual if it's full of bull.

6. Raymond Marek

Raymond Marek New Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Ive got 3 bikes 2 Triumphs and Honda VTX 1300. I use Shell Rotella T6 5w50 in all. Great product JASO rated. Plus $7.00 Rebate on a gallon.

7. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Best advice I’ve had is use the same oil each change, don’t mix synthetics and non, better to do 2 changes of cheap (rated) oil than 1 change of expensive, I’ve run mobil 1 in my race car with great results, but had great runs on “other” brands with regular changes.
    Many mates with cars over 400k still running cheaper oil ALL change oil and filter at half the interval.
    Like with chain oil, use what works or what you are happy with.
    Sae rating is always more important than brand, but that just my dumb opinion after riding for 40 years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #68 Flashp, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Also, the pre-unit
    I think a good proportion of the 'pitch' and implied 'necessity' is indeed marketing. There's a lot of it about, take exhausts and intakes for both bikes and cars as an example. Owners talk themselves into 'needing' these things and for the most part they're placebos. The marketing people respond by supplying the products and they're bought.

Back to oil...I believe that a relatively modest 10w 40 semi synthetic would meet the needs of most motorcyclists under all circumstances. This isn't an expensive oil and does meet all the requirements. There are potentially other factors at play which may allow an unspecified oil to be used and these will vary between owners and their riding styles all the way down to what material might have been used in their own clutch assemblies. A modestly priced oil mitigates all of these variables.

• Like Like x 2
  9. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    This has turned out more interesting than i thought when starting the tread. I spoke to a very old friend this morning who lives in Central London and had a conversation on the subject of oil. He has been taking his bikes to the same independent service garage for over 30 years. This is a 2 man business under some railway arches. He tells me he asked the boss about oil and was told they use a universal Semi and fully synthetic that is to the highest spec for bikes and cars. He did tell me the name of the oil which ive forgot but it wasn't a name ive heard of before. So i think he's answered my question.

• Like Like x 2
  10. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    My question was "what's the difference between bike and car oils". Always wondered why bike oil is dearer than car oil when the specs are the same.

11. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    It's been good. Your bike is going to blow up into a million bits though :p;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    As for price, it'll be a combination of:
    1. All new oil mixes have a research and development price at the start regardless of what it's used for, which needs to be made back from sales. More car oil will get sold than bike oil, so it'll make that back quicker even with a lower price.
    2. Similar to 1st point, in that cars are more common than bikes. And as such items that won't sell as much you can usually put a premium on.
    3. Extra additives to make special oil blends cost money, so that gets added on top.
    4. Making a profit.
    5. Taking the piss.

Different companies will use all of these in some form. Household names will commonly use 4 & 5 more often because they can.
    Smaller companies tend to price competitively, enough to stay in the game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    Using car oil will cause the clutch to slip you need it to be suitably for a wet clutch

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I can't believe you've revived this thread mate, DD was having kittens when it was last active :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :joy::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Ok... motorcycle oil is a conspiracy... what about chain oil???

Food for thought...

17. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Bollox, I missed that! But yeah, gear oil here too!

18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Are you sure though DD?
    :yum

19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    So will bike oil in my car make it rev higher?

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    So if this is 50/50 then are you saying 25% are right then?

Umm some doubt now creeping in :grinning: