Engine Help Please (?)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mark36, Aug 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark36

Mark36 New Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Suffolk
    Hello
    My Triumph Tiger Sport has recently developed some engine issues. Im reluctant to take it to the garage looking so clueless, as Im bound to be ripped off. Can anyone help?
    Im suspicious because it only had a major (24k) service 1,000 miles ago which involved valve clearances which is my first guess of the cause. Since then the engine has developed a rough note (it sounds like a tractor) and will stutter or cough. This is worse on startup, and sometimes lasts several minutes.
    I tried to attach a recording but the extension wasnt allowed.
    Any suggestions very welcome.
    Thank you

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    have you checked for leaks from the headers, by tractor do you mean knocking n rattling or rough sounding exhaust

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mark36

Mark36 New Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Suffolk
    Haven't looked at the headers, to be honest I wouldn't know where to start.
    By rough, I mean - engine sounds deeper and interval sounds longer. Sort of chugging along instead of the usual higher pitched 3-cylinder purr.
    Its not rattling just "coughing"
    Sorry this is so vague - Im not an engine person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Post on youtube then link to here, only takes 10 minutes, even I managed it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    sounds like it could be misfiring, could be a plug or coil, run the motor for 30 seconds and check the exhaust pipes to make sure they are all hot as a start

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mark36

Mark36 New Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Suffolk
    Genius idea with youtube. Now with sound !!!
    Its quite a distinctive noise so I hope this helps.
    Thanks for all the help so far.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #7 Callumity, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    You are a bit short of detail to help with diagnosis. Did the problem emerge straight after servicing or later? If the former your mechanic owes you a free check.
    Were Valve clearances actually re-shimmed? It would unlikely cause chugging but your description could be an electrical misfire or a mechanical air leak Does it improve with warm up?
    It is all a bit too vague to pinpoint on the basis of a limited description.....

Videos crossed with post!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mark36

Mark36 New Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Suffolk
    Update - all 3 exhausts get hot when the engine is run. So its not that.

It does seem to get better when the engine has been run for a while.
    Also its not consistent - sometimes it will be really bad but other times not (usually when im trying to record it).

The issue didn't start immediately after the service, not that I noticed anyway.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Sounded to me that it was only firing on two with the third cylinder occasionally trying to join in. But as all three header pipes are getting hot it would appear that I am, as is normal in these cases, talking total bollox!:rolleyes: Some things never change:(, but at least I am consistent!!:p

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Mark36

Mark36 New Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Suffolk
    It did seem like one was hotter than the others, maybe it was 2 and my finger tips had got desensitised by then!
    So its possibly one cylinder down.... Im guessing its not something like spark plugs or that would take the cylinder out completely?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mark36

Mark36 New Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Suffolk
    Well it was the Triumph dealership so I should be able to.... but Ive had a bad service from a different dealership before so in reality, not so much !
    I wanted to get the stamp for a big service like that, but Id trust a local garage much better. Ive found some recommendations on a local facebook page Im going to try those but I wanted to get at least some idea what it was so I don't sound like a total numpty.

Checked the service report. The spark plugs were renewed as part of the 24k....on paper at least

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Mark36
    You went to a triumph dealer then get it back there and kick ass. Welcome to the family by the way. Yes you have a cylinder dropping out. Coil plug air leak blocked injector. If they have gone down then you may have to pay if not then the dealer should put it right.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    After a 24k service including valve check, the ride home was awful
    Loss of power, misfiring and general very mechanical instead of smooy
    I took the tank and air box out and found one of the spark plug connectors was very loose, I gave it a push and it clicked info place
    Poor job at the garage

Ran super smooth after that

Take off what you are happy doing and check electric connections and pipes...just make sure everything is tight n propper

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Sounds like something might be loose, as @Red Thunder says check connections in high tension and low tension , middle cylinder is the likely culprit , it's the awkward one to access ! There's less room to get hands in. Wiggle all contacts , also if you have jumper leads , connect a good battery to bike before starting , see if it gets better , as ECU can play up if voltages are low.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    if it goes as the engine warms up it would suggest it is mixture related or electrical ie running weak when cold or an electrical component getting better as the engine warms.
    I would remove the tank and check the hoses and the plug lead & coil connections to start with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    To me it sounds like a miss but could also be a leaking exhaust in the first video but more like a miss in the second also check for intake leaks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Englishbandit

Englishbandit Active Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    I would not trust any garage an less I know them well. Do most my own stuff. I once had a mate brake down and called a local main dealer they picked his bike up. And got it started. My mate knows nothing about bikes. They told him his battery had died which was more than likely true but also told him his plugs were old and needed changing badly and billed him £256. Funny I had put brand new plugs in 2 weeks before when I serviced his bike. Funny that.

• Agree Agree x 1