Sprint Engine Case Oil Weep

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by StonedRollin, Mar 6, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. StonedRollin

StonedRollin Member

Oct 14, 2021
    Fife
    Bought my new to me 09 ST1050 and aside from picking it up in Oldham and riding it home to Fife in October I've pretty much left it in the garage on the trickle charger.

Tyres were shot so it's on stands now whilst the wheels are getting new hoops so I took the chance to remove the fairing and have a look underneath at the bike. Aside from normal aging I've noticed what looks like an oil weep from the bottom of the RHS engine casing (see attached pic).

Has anyone experienced this before??

Thanks

20220306_170652.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have the same on my 2010 Speed Triple
    I did find a lot of the case bolts were loose, as in only just nipped up tight
    I went over then with an 8mm spanner to a better torque but obviously not too tight
    The weeping has reduced a lot but still a little drip after she has been ridden

• Like Like x 2
  3. StonedRollin

StonedRollin Member

Oct 14, 2021
    Fife
    Thanks for the quick reply - appreciate that

I'll check the torque settings and the bolts and will clean up the area and keep an eye on it for now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes perhaps a new gasket to make sure.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. StonedRollin

StonedRollin Member

Oct 14, 2021
    Fife
    It'll be going in for an MOT in May and I'll get a filter and oil change down then too so it would be no drama to get a new gasket for all that'd cost.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    I noticed a little oil around the head of a bolt on my left side cover. It was the only one loose.

• Like Like x 1
  7. StonedRollin

StonedRollin Member

Oct 14, 2021
    Fife
    Looks like it is as simple as a few loose bolts. :laughing: 4 along the bottom were no way tight enough. Will clean up and keep an eye on it.

Thanks all for the input

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    Mine was at the top so it could've easily gone unnoticed.