End The Bbc Licence Fee

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by David Cooper, Jun 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    signed, also signed this one ... https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235653

I'm trying to persuade the wife to stop watching broadcast TV. I pulled the aeriel last week to trial it. Looking good to cancel. I'd cancel now but need to be sure the wife won't accidentally incriminate herself when the BBC goon squad arrive, I'm only still paying it as protection money.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    You’ve still got to have a TV licence even if you’re only watching Sky or cable. Any device that can receive broadcast TV needs one.
    The buggers have got you all ways :worried:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    You can watch catch-up and on demand services (other than iPlayer) But you mustn't watch any broadcast TV, even pay to view such as SKY/BT sports.

Other than the odd footy game, which I can watch down the pub, we don't need to watch broadcast TV, everything we need is available on catch-up or on-demand.

Kids only watch youtube or netflix, so the BBC have lost the next generation, they will have no brand loyalty or nostalgia for BBC like the older generations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yeah but they get you on the fact that you still have the ability to watch broadcast TV by having the equipment to view it.
    When you don’t have a licence they actively target your address for detection. We’ve had it with our old house when we rented it out, just before the tenant moved in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    They still have to prove you guilty, and without a court warrant they can not enter your premises, just owning and using a TV does not need a license, and is not enough on it's own for the goons to get a warrant.
    The problem comes when (mostly female) householders incriminate themselves by being helpful. Which is why I hesitate to stop paying even though legally we shouldn't need to pay. I'd happily tell the goons to get lost, the wife is likely to invite them in and sign anything she is asked to sign.

75% of people convicted of license fee evasion are women, BBC like to lecture us about equality, but not when it comes to paying thier salaries.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. David Cooper

Subscriber

#7 David Cooper, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    I hate loathe and despise commercial broadcasting. I have experienced it in various other countries including the USA where it is particularly vile.
    The licence fee goes towards BBC Radio and also the BBC website which I find indispensible. Usually, when abroad, the only radio worth listening to is BBC World Service.
    So I'm one of the annoying people who think that the licence fee is a damn good thing if it means that I can avoid the horrors of the commercial channels.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    I don't watch any broadcast TV, on-demand and YouTube only. Try explaining to a child under 12 that they have to wait until a set time to watch a tv program, they will think you are mad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Unfortunately it is the law (just another indirect tax) so you either pay your money or take your chances.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Peeps signed both. But I won't hold my breath. They are even robbing the pensioners now. Not bad enough they tax their pensions and take their homes to pay for care. You wonder about all the life time of work to better yourself and family. When really you are just saving for the assholes sitting in parliament and government offices.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I come from a different angle. To my mind the proper question is ‘what do we need from a 21C Public Service Broadcaster?’ It would not look like the Beeb and cost a fraction of the current licence. The BBC is a pseudo commercial operation subsidised by a compulsory tax levied on live viewing. It crushes local stations and dominates web output while its entire rationale derives from an era long past. Similarly its ethos is also stuck in a soft left featherbed unwillingly funded by grafters given no choice.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    Just had Netflix and amazon prime for last 3 years..... £450+ saved

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. David Cooper

Subscriber

62490919_2365681543675216_906373730228240384_n.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    The BBC are a truely evil and hideous organisation. They have a clear and obvious political bias, not only having a malevalent influence in the UK but also around the world.

https://www.ukcolumn.org/article/bbc-media-action-subversion-broadcasting-house-kazakhstan

Don't forget their cover up of child abuse for years and protecting those who perpetrated it (Saville, etc).

I dislike commercials on TV and radio, but in my opinion that is a far lesser evil than the BBC. I wouldn't stop at scrapping the licence fee, I would like to see the BBC taken down completely.

Their TV output is total shite these days anyway...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Spot on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    As has been said, it’s a possession tax, (tv or other devise) irrespective of whether you actually watch it or even turn it on.
    But I would gladly pay double not to be subjected to the amount of mind numbing, intelligence insulting, fukwit adverts that plague ever other channel now!
    If advert muting was an Olympic sport, I’d win gold for sure!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    2 comments - How much are people prepared to pay to watch football on TV ? A lot more than the BBC cost. It's fairly obvious that anti BBC comments on this site are usually politically not financially motivated.
    Secondly - try looking at a commercial site eg. Visordown on a mobile to see what the dire options lead to.
    I am a pensioner and I think the licence fee is excellent value when one considers the alternatives.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    This is perhaps worth a watch for anyone thinking of cancelling their TV license ...

• Like Like x 1
  20. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    BBC is ~£12.50 per month, thats the same as I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime combined (and I get free amazon next day delivery)

I had BT sports free with their broadband.

I can't remember the last time I watched a game on BBC, I'm not in to women's football, and even the internationals are on commercial channels now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    you have had visits, just been out on the bike, at work, playing golf, watching west ham lose :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    I think the Tv & Radio licence went out of date with the dinosaurs. It's meant to be a subsidised private company now, so how come it is still the law to pay for it. It should be a choice. I say out of date because the licence fee was set up only when there was BBC radio and TV. Today we have hundreds of free channels and many SKY channels to watch. I haven't listened to any BBC radio stations since the seaside roadshows in the 80s early 90s. I don't watch a lot of TV but if there is a programme that i want to see, i record it then watch it back skipping the ads.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1