Electric Triumph Announced

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Ducatitotriumph, Mar 23, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
  2. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Weight and power are Hayabusa-ish which should be ok for decent progress.

120 mile range might be enough though if it's achievable as it's probably more than 95% of all journeys, and how many riders that pop out for a ride on a Sunny Sunday do that much?

It won't do everything we all want, but it might do most of what we actually need

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I didn't hear them mention the range,just that it was improved, until they get a range of at least 300-400 miles it's not much use.looks good though. My mates mate took him out for a spin in his electric Porsche and he said it was amazing,it even had a soundtrack you could play so it sounded like a normal engine! Cost £££££s though

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I for one will watch this space as it looks really good.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    It won't do what I want from a motorbike, Under usual conditions (roll on) I often ride every day and frequently ride all day, Geneva to Northampton in 12 hours, Calais to Berlin in 12 hours for example. I also ride all year round and in all weathers that's why I am riding my second 900Trophy the 1993 model with its fairing and decent mud guarding, Panniers and top box if needed plus heated gloves. There seems to be nothing to replace it with at present.
    Plus the infrastructure is not there yet, see the horror stories of non functioning charge stations and so on, flat dwellers, garages or sheds without there own power.
    Ecological? where and how is the electricity produced and transmitted to the charging stations with the losses involved in transmission.

6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Sorry but electric bikes are just wrong!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    "In finished trim Triumph say the TE-1 will weigh a hair over 220kg, will produce 174bhp and will travel around 120 miles before you need to plug it in."

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Not an electric bike car fan. Now if I look at my use, and the fact I like to have several bikes. Such a bike can be a good daily commuter. No/few maintain issue, no need to stop at the gas station, load battery at home.

Well, now I read what I've just written I even can't convince myself :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The attraction is the fast charge time, but I agree that the range has to be improved before electric bikes become practical rather than a plaything. This one is definitely not designed to be a tourer. Zero have evolved their design to touring versions but with 120 mile range and longer charge time still isn’t really practical, The price isn’t attractive either, around the 18k Mark. The speed they take off at lights is phenomenal but I’m sure this will be choked by the powers that be for safety reasons. I think you can already get pulled for taking off from
    Lights too quickly!!? Another thing I found out when talking to a zero owner, the range is reduced when out of town and “touring”

10. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I can see that whether we like it or not, and I don't particularly, this will be the way forward.
    Having got some way through the article I got very tired of repetitive management speak and didn;t bother to finish it.
    What concerns me is what will happen to us and our ICE bikes?
    Taxed beyond the limits by government and banished from the table by the greens and possibly even other more affluent bikers who can afford and have to have the latest technology asap?
    The future might not be looking so bright!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    #11 Tricky-Dicky, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Good point! I am starting to wonder if keeping my classic might be a way forward as it is I don't pay Tax and MOT but then as soon as everyone starts using their classics they will be bound to start adding extra costs....besides they are going to want to start recovering revenue lost due to covid so there is no escape.

Let's face it our days are probably numbered anyway.

12. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I find.the whole movement to electrify our personal transportation laughable. I live is Southern California in the US. Our vehicle density here is through the roof. There is also a gasoline station at every major traffic intersection. Sometimes as many as four. I just read this week that we can expect rolling electrical blackouts this summer because there is not enough power available to feed this mess. In that same article they mentioned putting two aged old power plants back in service to help with the shortage. NOW they want us all to have a charger in our home garages to charge our personal vehicles. Most of these vehicles would have to be charged at night after we are home from work. At the same time they are telling us to switch to SOLAR POWER !...........(anybody see anything wrong with thier plans ?);)
    ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I’m not a fan at the moment. I ride for pleasure and like the visceral experience an engine brings to a ride. If I were just commuting, then perhaps. Plus where I ride there’s no way of charging your bike, as most of the ride is in the mountains and remote areas. Fuel stations are far between at times. So for now it’s not for me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I am sure electric vehicles will be fun - I just can’t get Unigate Milkfloats out of my head...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The range has been "optimised" to give 120m. Is that 120m of spirited sports riding using a good wedge of that 174bhp or 120m of limp wristed battery monitoring? Certainly looks the part though. Then of course there's the price. Unless the powers that be come to their senses and realise the full potential of hydrogen power then I agree, electric vehicles of all types are the future but not in my lifetime thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    120miles and 80% recharge in 20mins

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    So the range is not much more than the other electric bikes, long way to go yet

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I have been a petrol head and ageing Rocker for more years than I care to remember, I appreciate electric motorcycles from a technical perspective, and some look really fantastic, seeing and hearing them race at the Isle Of Man TT Zero confirmed they are not for me, they clocked 170 MPH at the last race before they discontinued them from the schedule, they emit a a rather strange whistling sound (I know you can activate engine sounds on some machines), but what's the point in that. I think technology moves on at such a fast pace that we will see faster charge times, longer miles between charges and lighter batteries. Remember the first mobile phones, they were huge and very heavy and had to be carried via a shoulder strap, compare that to the latest mobiles, electric motorbikes will without doubt get cheaper, more efficient mileage, super quick charging, rider and power modes etc etc. However I will be riding along heavens highways when this all rolls out compulsory on my petrol engine Triumph (amongst others dare I say). Ride safe all

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Pro's.....
    1. Better for the enviroment...allegedly.
    2. Cheaper to run with lower maintemance.
    3. Acceleration, quick off the mark.
    Can't think of any more.

Cons.....
    1. Range and charge times.
    2. No exhaust noise.
    3. No gearbox.
    4. You can't blip the throttle sat at the lights.
    5. A "sterile" riding experience.
    6. Greta Thunberg will like them.

If I've missed some, feel free..............

20. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I find this bike rather intriguing. However, the limited range and, relatedly, the charge time would still be a concern for me. Even though the charge time is touted as a fast 20 minutes to 80%charge from 0, that's a far cry from the 5 minutes to gas up my currently motorcycles, not 20. I guess if all the charging stations were at coffee shops that would help. But then I'd be a little too buzzed for my own taste if I were out for a long ride! I also think it will be awhile until the charging station infrastructure is developed enough that a ride out on one's electric bike won't need to also be a treasure hunt for places to charge your bike.

• Agree Agree x 1